Home Open Account Help 363 users online

Model Railroading > Help needed building an HO scale ACL M-3 caboose kit

Date: 09/22/20 08:31
Help needed building an HO scale ACL M-3 caboose kit
Author: Floridarailfan

Due to the scarcity of ready to run ACL cabooses, I bought an American Model Builders M-3 caboose kit, but the painful truth is that my model building skills leave something to be desired.  Are their professional model builders out there who can help?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/22/20 08:32 by Floridarailfan.

Date: 09/22/20 20:43
Re: Help needed building an HO scale ACL M-3 caboose kit
Author: railstiesballast

I have had fun building these kits (although not the ACL kit).
If you cannot find a builder I think you should jump in and try your luck/skills.
Canopy glue can be softened and removed with water if you get something wrong.
Test fit parts before putting the glue on, have bits of paper towel and toothpicks on hand to wipe up excess glue.
Remember to put some weight in before sealing things up.
I have had good luck building things with the window "glass" in place; pre-paint the window and door trim bits, then cut some thin masking tape like Tamyia to cover the glass, then you can spray paint, add gloss, decals, and finish up with a flat finish, then pull the masking off.  
Here is an AMB kit done this year. If you look too closely you can find little problems but I'll take it, warts and all.

Date: 09/23/20 05:33
Author: calsubd

Follow the above advice,  jump in the water isn't that cold !

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 09/23/20 06:24
Author: BAB

Have two one 1/8" scale that needs detail, hand rails and such the other an ACL kit of it that I have looked at for too many years.......need to do both this winter. 

Date: 09/24/20 09:38
Author: cabman

What warts?  I think it's a beauty.  These are well- thought-out kits and very much fun to build.  A little extra thinking and pre-planning before tackling an AMB caboose are necessary but where else are you going to find these models except maybe brass?

Date: 09/24/20 10:44
Author: wabash2800

I think I know what he means. Even with my best scratchbuilt projects or kits, there is always a little blemish that I know about but no one else would notice unless I showed them...

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What warts?  I think it's a beauty.  These are
> well- thought-out kits and very much fun to
> build.  A little extra thinking and pre-planning
> before tackling an AMB caboose are necessary but
> where else are you going to find these models
> except maybe brass?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/20/20 18:18 by wabash2800.

Date: 09/24/20 13:29
Author: PHall

The AMB kits and their instructions are pretty well done. Just take your time, read the instructions first and have fun!
These kits make a good basic model with plenty of room left if you want to take the detailing up a notch or two.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds