Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > How To Make A Stencil?

Date: 10/08/20 15:11
How To Make A Stencil?
Author: RRBMail

I need to paint a small symbol on a model over and over again. I think it will go easier and faster if I use a stencil. Do any TOs have advice on making a small stencil or know of a company that will make one using mail order? Thanks in advance!

Date: 10/08/20 15:41
Re: How To Make A Stencil?
Author: PasadenaSub

For the electronics company I work for, we order 0.005" thick stencils to apply solder paste onto PCBs.  We use a company here in Southern California that charges about $50-100 per stencil, depending of size.

I'm sure there are others throughout the US, but here's the info for ours:

http://www.i-source.com/smt-stencils-tooling-parts/#stencils

We just provide them with a gerber file with the pattern for the cutouts.  They are printed on high-quality stainless steel.

Of course, if the surface you would be applying paint to isn't flat, that could be a challenge.

Rich

Date: 10/08/20 16:38
Author: wabash2800

It would seem that a lazer set-up could make stencils out of a thin piece of material. There was a guy here that works with a lazer printer that might be able to do it for you. IIRC, his product is car loads. I looked back but couldn't find him, sorry.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Date: 10/08/20 17:05
Author: wjpyper

Rather than use a stencil I would get a custom rubber stamp made and use block printing ink. Cost about $25 and much easier to apply. That is how I put STOP signs on my streets.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 10/08/20 17:23
Author: PHall

It might be easier and cheaper to have a decal made. You can even make them on your computer.

Date: 10/08/20 21:21
Author: Hookdragkick

Try photo etching some thin brass to make a stencil.

Posted from Android

Date: 10/08/20 21:55

Okay, but how does one make a photo etching? 

Date: 10/08/20 21:56

Thanks, but it must be made with paint. Decals won't last.  

Date: 10/09/20 06:37
Author: ChrisCampi

An index card and a sharp knife?

Date: 10/09/20 07:55
Author: miniempire

Date: 10/09/20 08:37
Author: tomstp

Get some butcher paper.  Get double sided sticky tape and apply to the butcher paper.  Draw what you want, then take a new exacto blade or single edge shaving blade and cut out your drawing.  Fasten the tape to the item to be painted and take your air brush and paint.  Pull off the tape and you are done.

Date: 10/09/20 08:52
Author: wjpyper

RRBaron Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, but it must be made with paint. Decals
> won't last.  
Like I said, get a rubber stamp and use printing ink. Printing ink has the same chemical composition as oil base paint and will last forever.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 10/09/20 20:07
Author: funnelfan

A custom rubber stamp would probably be the easier route to go.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0548 seconds