Home Open Account Help 298 users online

Model Railroading > Ho curved turnout

Date: 10/11/20 19:12
Ho curved turnout
Author: bluesboyst

Anyone know the broadest HO curved turnout on the market?  I know there are 30" radius on the outer curve from Atlas.....

Date: 10/11/20 20:27
Re: Ho curved turnout
Author: SP4360

Shinohara made #8 in the 36 outer 32 inner range. I use their #6 and 7 on my layout for one end of the yard. They are in the 22-24" range on the inside curve

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/20 21:58 by SP4360.

Date: 10/12/20 04:13
Author: DLWPocono

You might check out superiormodelrailroads.com. This gentleman builds and sells custom turnouts in many sizes and curve radiuses. 

Date: 10/12/20 04:17
Author: SPDRGWfan

The broadest commerical prefab turnouts made are the Shinohara code 100 #8 curved and the Walthers code 83 #8 curve, with nominal 36"R outer and 32" inner radius.  Reportedly the inner radius is actually a bit less, maybe 30"R.

Date: 10/12/20 06:25
Author: mamfahr

bluesboyst Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Anyone know the broadest HO curved turnout on the
> market?  I know there are 30" radius on the outer
> curve from Atlas.....

Hello,

The "broadest" turnouts I'm aware of are available from Central Valley.  They're curvable turnouts that you assemble yourself and they flex to produce almost any radius you desire.  I've put in a few of them and have had very good results.   You can select from a variety of frog numbers depending upon how sharply you want to diverge.

https://www.cvmw.com/turnouts.htm

Take care,

Mark

Date: 10/12/20 07:06
Author: bluesboyst

Thanks all for the info.

Date: 10/12/20 08:34
Author: lajrwc1

What about Peco's code 83 no. 7.5?  60" outer radius, 36" inner radius (although the inner is reported by some to actually be a bit tighter....more like 28").
   Doug

Date: 10/12/20 08:48

lajrwc1 Wrote:
> What about Peco's code 83 no. 7.5?  60" outer
> radius, 36" inner radius (although the inner is
> reported by some to actually be a bit
> tighter....more like 28").
>    Doug

I have a couple of those and I checked them and the inner matches 36"R closely.  Maybe you are thinking of the Walthers or Shinohara curved where the inner is a bit tighter than reported by the manufacturer.

Date: 10/12/20 09:17
Author: tomstp

You can take the Shinohara large curved turnout and turn to its back side.  You will see the ties are connected together.  Slit the connection every 3rd tie and you can greatly increase the size of the curve.

Date: 10/12/20 13:29

SPDRGWfan Wrote:

> I have a couple of those and I checked them and
> the inner matches 36"R closely.  Maybe you are
> thinking of the Walthers or Shinohara curved where
> the inner is a bit tighter than reported by the
> manufacturer.

Just reporting on what others have talked about on some of the other online blogs....I have no personal experience.  I will say that a local modeler recently removed several of the Walthers No. 8 curved turnouts due to consistently poor performance/derailments (my limited experience with those mirrors that, even with a lot of tweaking) and replaced them with the Peco no. 7.5 curved turnouts, which have exhibited flawless performance.

Date: 10/12/20 15:24

Some have reported the Walthers being out of guage in places which may have been related to derailments, especially if some wheels were also out of guage.

I've had a Genesis F that consistently detailed on one of my Shinohara #8 turnouts but no issues on my Walthers #8 curved, both on my last layout.

The code 83 Peco curved are labeled #7, at least mine are.

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/12/20 15:31 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 10/12/20 16:56

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-----------------------------------------------------
> The code 83 Peco curved are labeled #7, at least mine are.

You're correct, my mistake (must be getting my Walthers and Peco numbers intermixed).  The large-radius Pecos are no. 7s.

Date: 10/13/20 18:22
Author: AVR3001

FastTracks #10 60"R/46"R, #8 60"R/40"R and #6 60"R/33"R (www.handlaidtrack.com)

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0562 seconds