Home Open Account Help 323 users online

Model Railroading > Running DCC engine without remote

Date: 10/15/20 09:45
Running DCC engine without remote
Author: P

I picked up a DCC equipped locomotive, but do not use that system and have a basic transformer. I tried running it, and it kind of worked. I.e. had sounds, delayed start, etc., but did not completely respond well to the basic transformer instructions. I haven't looked too deep into this yet, but was wondering if there are any tips for operating this engine with a regular transformer?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/20 11:10
Re: Running DCC engine without remote
Author: ESPEE5318

That's pretty much what you get when running a DCC decoder on analog, it "works" but no where near DCC performance or analog without the decoder. When you understand what is going on it is kind of the nature of the beast. DCC runs on constant 14v ac  and you are running it on variable 0-12v dc things are not going to be great. Years back the manufactures were actually telling analog customers that they could purchase there DCC sound locos and use them on analog no problem and there were a lot of very disappointed customers paying $300 for and sound locomotive and getting crappy running characteristics and limited feature access.................Joe

Date: 10/15/20 13:26
Author: P

Is there a switch to run it in conventional mode like with Lionel trains (O guage)?

Posted from Android

Date: 10/15/20 14:42
Author: tramfan

Depending on the brand, you could substitute the DCC decoder for a non-DCC board. Or if you are handy just configure the wiring to run analog DC. But you could just buy something like Digitax's Zephyr. That way you can start adding additional DCC to the rest of your roster.

Date: 10/15/20 16:32
Author: PHall

P Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is there a switch to run it in conventional mode
> like with Lionel trains (O guage)?
>
> Posted from Android

Nope, the board just reads what it is getting, i.e. 0-12vdc vs 14vac, and goes to that mode. It's automatic.

Date: 10/15/20 18:20
Author: calsubd

Before investing in a Zephyr,  bring the loco to a DCC layout to verify  it works, just saying

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

Date: 10/16/20 06:20
Author: BAB

calsubd Wrote:
> Before investing in a Zephyr,  bring the loco to
> a DCC layout to verify  it works, just saying

Or an NCE unit which works great and they have a starter one that works great and not too much money like the Zephyr.

Date: 10/16/20 06:28
Author: brfriedm

Usual BAB Boyd Butler fake news.

NCE starter set is $180  https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/nce-524025-power-cab-complete-dcc-starter-set-with-power-supply/
Digitrax Zephyr is $190  https://www.modeltrainstuff.com/digitrax-zepe-zephyr-express-starter-set/

They are both good products. $10 difference.

Bruce

BAB Wrote:
> calsubd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Before investing in a Zephyr,  bring the loco
> to
> > a DCC layout to verify  it works, just saying
>
> Or an NCE unit which works great and they have a
> starter one that works great and not too much
> money like the Zephyr.

Date: 10/17/20 08:39
Author: calsubd

BAB Wrote:
> calsubd Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Before investing in a Zephyr,  bring the loco
> to
> > a DCC layout to verify  it works, just saying
>
> Or an NCE unit which works great and they have a
> starter one that works great and not too much
> money like the Zephyr.

I know BAB, I have both, Zephyr and Power Cab, 1 for home and the other for the club

Ed Stewart
Jacksonville, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0415 seconds