Home Open Account Help 339 users online

Model Railroading > HO flex track

Date: 10/19/20 11:20
HO flex track
Author: jcaestecker

Greetings All,

After a hiatus of nearly 30 years, I have decided to get back into modeling in HO.  Back then, I was fond of using flex track made by Micro Engineering and turnouts from Peco.  Are either still available?  Are there better products on the market now?  I am interested to hear any and all opinions.  My layout space is approximately 10' x 16' and will incorporate a small yard, station, a little local light industry and minimal switching in the transition era of the Midwest in the late '50s.

-John 

Date: 10/19/20 11:57
Re: HO flex track
Author: wabash2800

Yes, both are still available but Peco now offers "North American Style" turnouts, but I haven't used them. And they are offered in code 83, which looks a little less toylike than code 100. (Painting the sides of the rails helps.) I model the era you are considering but use code 70 and code 55.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/20 12:16 by wabash2800.

Date: 10/19/20 17:37
Author: SD608708

I use Peco Code 83 Flex Track and Switches on my layout and they work . As was said looks more prototype than Code 100.

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 10/19/20 21:38
Author: AVR3001

Welcome back John.  Peco offered a new line a flex track with excellent tie plate detail, and traditional spiking pattern, accurate crosstie dimensions and tie spacing.  It flexes smoothly and is easy to work with.  Also, Walthers recently released both flex track and turnouts.  I've got some of their new flex track and it also has good tie plate detail with a more contemporary spike pattern but a lower profile and wider tie spacing than Peco.  Their turnouts were due months ago but seem to be circling the globe in a container somewhere.  Maybe October 28 due date will hold this time, we'll see.

Date: 10/20/20 05:37

Thank you gentlemen.  I appreciate your feedback.

-John

Date: 10/20/20 20:19
Author: railstiesballast

Micro Engineering still makes excellent flex track.  While Peco is easy to work with compared to the somewhat stiff ME track, you can buy ME with "weathered' rail colored dark brown and the spike heads are a little bit smaller.
ME also makes turnouts, including a set of No. 5 ladder components that save you the trouble of trimming separate turnouts to fit in yard ladders.
I consider both PECO and ME the best, but really cannot complain about the current "DCC Friendly" products from Atlas or Walthers.

Date: 10/21/20 13:42
Author: navarch2

The 2020 Penn Central uses Peco Coade 83 main lines and turnouts, and Code 70 sidings and turnouts on branches.

Bob

Date: 10/21/20 15:22
Author: SP4360

Fubar Flats uses code 83 and 70 switches from Walthers, Atlas Custom line, Peco and ME. Also Atlas, ME and Peco flex track. I added a .005 plastic wedge in the  area ahead of the frog point on the Atlas and Peco switches to eleiminate the wheel drop. Also filed the guard rail flange are on the frog slightly to eliminate the tight guage on the Walthers switches. I've had no problem with any of the switches after doing some very minor course corrections from thr manufacturers. Have fun John,  miss your family and trips to San Diego.
Dale

Date: 10/22/20 09:51

Thanks Dale,

I surely miss the trips and all of you fine guests we had over the years.  Think about it every day.

-John

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds