Home Open Account Help 313 users online

Model Railroading > You know those deflector panels on UP’s E’s?

Date: 10/26/20 07:51
You know those deflector panels on UP’s E’s?
Author: BoilingMan

Does anyone make them in HO?
Seems like I saw them once, but I can’t find them.
They’re pretty distinctive on the roof of UP’s E Units. (I think they were for engine room cooling, but I can’t imagine how they worked...)
Anyway- I’m hoping they’re available as a detail part.
Thanks
SR

Date: 10/26/20 08:03
Re: You know those deflector panels on UP’s E’s?
Author: Redboard

Utah Pacific 755-83 possibly.

Paul

Date: 10/26/20 08:23
Author: KM-ML4000

Overland had them in their detail parts line.

Date: 10/26/20 08:53
Author: Arved

BoilingMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> (I think they were for engine room
> cooling, but I can’t imagine how they
> worked...)

Go to https://utahrails.net/up/up-loco-features.php and scroll down to "Snow Shields on E8/9 Units" for a thorough explination (and more useful information).

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 10/26/20 08:54
Author: x6924w

Definitely Utah Pacific #83. I think I have a pair from a Preamble Express Walthers E9 that are red. You are welcome to them if you want but I think the Utah Pacific ones are more detailed. There is a pr on Epay now.

Date: 10/26/20 09:07

Thanks everyone. It was the Utah Pacific part I remembered. I snagged the set on EBay.
And thanks for the connection to the explication. I’m going to model an SP E Unit and I’m pondering which one to do. The 6052 had the UP shields, an interesting detail that puts it high on the list.
SR

Date: 10/26/20 10:22
Author: railstiesballast

From what I have read the SP and EMD struggled with cooling issues on E units assigned between Los Angeles and New Orleans.
They made several modifications to roof vents to giving the UP version a try seems plausible.

Date: 10/26/20 10:41

It looks like the SP settled on the vents they added to either side of the side door as their solution.
They tried the UP’s modification on the 6052, but only the ‘52. Interestingly the 6052 never got the side vents- so I guess maybe both solutions worked just as well?
SR

Date: 11/01/20 06:55
Author: donstrack

x6924w Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Definitely Utah Pacific #83. ...I think
> the Utah Pacific ones are more detailed.

When the snow shields made by Utah Pacific first came out in the late 1970s, the Utah Pacific company was owned by a local friend here in Utah. Also at that time, I was working for UP in the Salt Lake shops. I measured (and made sketches) of one of the snow shields on an Amtrak (ex UP) unit that was in the shop for some truck work. Utah Pacific's pattern maker made the master pattern from my sketches. The ex UP E units were working on Amtrak's San Francisco Zephyr across Wyoming and Nevada at the time.

As far as I know, there was not an official drawing of the snow shields used on their EMD E units. Several people have looked in UP records at various times over the years.

Don Strack
https://utahrails.net/

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0316 seconds