Home Open Account Help 314 users online

Model Railroading > Illinois Central SD40A

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 11/10/20 13:11
Illinois Central SD40A
Author: Betsy

Wait, what?  No, I haven’t abandoned my Southern Pacific roots.  This is another of those models that I finished “building” a while back, but then languished for some time for various reasons.

I would occasionally build a model for display at the Cannon and Company booth at the National Train Show, as an example of what was possible using those parts.  This was for the 2015(?) show in Portland, OR.  In part, we picked this because the Athearn SDP45 was out and there always seemed to be sporadic interest in the SD40A.  Another reason was that the Cannon booth was to be one-away from the Tangent Scale Models booth, which would be partially staffed by one of our dear friends who is a Illinois Central modeler who had at times expressed obvious interest in the SD40A.  So, it was a gentle tease, all in good fun.

The obvious starting point was the EL-Conrail version, as the deck would provide the non boiler-equipped style real steps.  Although the Athearn model comes with very nice molded on tread plate, I planed to use Cannon tread because of the need to fill in the space for the front- and rear decks, so I scraped and sanded off the molded-on tread.  Constructing the shell was fairly straight-forward, I use a 0.020 sheet of styrene, with additional sections of 0.020 as overlays, and strips cut to length for the spacers.  They dynamic brake section is an Atlas SDP35 part, one of a few I’ve had laying around for a while.  Other than filling in the openings in the deck to accommodate the shorter (relative to the SDP45) SD40A hood, most of the work is fairly straightforward.  While these had the familiar (to an SP modeler) L-wind shield, the side grab iron in the short hood is located on the fireman’s side, and the equipment door on the engineer’s side has an unusual off-set center latch.  I spliced together a “typical” door and a SP-style split door to get the proper spacing, after filling in the center latch. Aside from the air reservoirs, I used as man of the original Athearn parts when detailing the area under the deck, while adding additional details.

Elizabeth

Date: 11/10/20 13:13
Re: Illinois Central SD40A
Author: Betsy

I knew weathering a white hood would be a challenge.  I tried matching as closely as possible to a prototype photo, in part I think the soot on the dynamic brake section is a little darker than I intended, but it’s pretty close. Some of the photos of SD40As I’ve located showed locomotives so filthy, no one would believe the weathering. 

Date: 11/10/20 13:45
Author: CNW

Excellent model of a unique prototype!  The detailing and weathering look great.  I remember photographing one of the prototype SD40As in Soo Line paint.

Dennis

Date: 11/10/20 14:44
Author: dwatry

Wow - beautiful modeling job!    Looks like I caught one in Kankakee in June 1974. 

Date: 11/10/20 14:44
Author: 3rdswitch

Bitchin.
JB

Date: 11/10/20 16:00
Author: drdiesel

Bellisima!!!

Date: 11/10/20 16:35
Author: icancmp193

Beautiful work as always and I think you got the weathering about right. Although I've always liked the IC/ICG orange/white, it never wore well.

TJY

Date: 11/10/20 16:48
Author: TomG

Wow that is amazing Betsy! Well Done. Wana paint some stuff for me. lol

Date: 11/10/20 17:00
Author: tmurray

Amazing!  Thank you for sharing.

Date: 11/10/20 17:14
Author: SPDRGWfan

Mahvelus! Simply mah-vel-us!

Posted from Android

Date: 11/10/20 17:52
Author: pwh

Very nice, beautiful Job.
What adhesive ddid you use to attach the brass steps amd walkway to the plastic shell?
Thanks

Date: 11/10/20 18:32
Author: SOU3921

As always, fantastic job!
Cooper

Date: 11/10/20 19:39
Author: GRNDMND

What a great looking model! Whose part is the extended range d/b access door(s)? Haven't been able to see who makes those. Maybe just not looking in the right place?

KC

Date: 11/10/20 20:34
Author: dboehlke

Wow, excellent work!  I like the weathering.

Dan Boehlke
New Ulm, MN

Date: 11/10/20 21:14
Author: EOTMOVE

When you make these models, do you glue the long hood doors right onto the sheet of styrene you cut or do you cut holes in the styrene for the doors to fit into and then glue them in?

Date: 11/11/20 04:48
Author: jburek

Holy Cow!!!   That is incredible!!!!  Beautiful Work - outstanding paint & weathering.  What brand of paint did you use for this may I ask?  I have always liked this scheme.
JB

Date: 11/11/20 05:16
Author: sp8192

A work of art!  Excellent job as usual from you Betsy!   Always been one of my favorite locos....that big long stretched SD40 body just seems to go on and on...

Date: 11/11/20 07:26
Author: pennsy3750

How on Earth did you get the wire bent just right for the handrails?

Date: 11/11/20 08:41
Author: myoungwisc

Fantastic!

-Martin

Date: 11/11/20 09:04
Author: rnb3

Excellent craftsmanship Liz! Gordon would continue to be proud!

Rick Bacon
Windsor, CO

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.061 seconds