Home Open Account Help 275 users online

Model Railroading > Did you see the latest Young Sheldon Episode?

Date: 11/13/20 17:05
Did you see the latest Young Sheldon Episode?
Author: wabash2800

I didn't see it, but a lady friend told me about it. (My TV hasn't worked in a long time, and I don't miss it.)

Anyway, she says in this recent episode, Young Sheldon, who likes trains, gets a job at a museum involved with trains. Apparently, he is very knowledgeable but corrects too much and gets fired! LOL That probably would be me at that age. ROTFLMBO. 

If any of you saw it, maybe you can fill us in.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/20 17:18 by wabash2800.

Date: 11/13/20 20:47
Re: Did you see the latest Young Sheldon Episode?
Author: JasonCNW

Sheldon see's a flyer at a model train store saying a train museum is hiring for a docent. He calls them up and immediatly starts to talk about his favorite trains and is hired.

His grandma drives him there on his first day and he's dressed as a counductor. He meets with the museum manager and the rest of the show he is being annoying to the museum visitors, following one guy to the bathroom talking about passenger train toilets LOL.

As far as train content I think he gets most of it right, how to tell if a builders plate is real and also a bell off a T&NO steam engine. The one thing I think he got wrong was looking at a painting of a Santa Fe F unit in warbonnet paint he calls "cat whiskers scheme". Spoiler Alert the funniest scene was at the end when the museum manager was firing him and using an euphenisim why he's being let go is "the engineer uses just the right amount of water, not a little or not to much just the right amount" (as in describing Sheldons annoying trait to tell people way to many facts) and Sheldon responds "the fireman controls the water usage".

I enjoy this show and thought last nights episode was well writtin and funny.
JC

Posted from Android

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/20 20:49 by JasonCNW.

Date: 11/14/20 07:47
Author: BlackWidow

He also discusses the actual heritage of the Southern Pacific and the year it was actually started.  I didn't know off the top of my head if this was correct or not.

Date: 11/14/20 07:52
Author: WAF

I liked the Big Bang Theory one where he and Amy are on a dinner date on a dinner train with friends and someone hooks his train interest and spends the whole time talking trains while Amy drowns herself in her wine

Date: 11/14/20 09:10
Author: railstiesballast

Whenever I need cheering up we put on Young Sheldon, as much for "MeMa" (Grandmother) and the rest of his family as young Sheldon.
Oh yeah, trains.  I did not see that episode yet but I'm looking forward to it.

Date: 11/14/20 09:16
Author: cabman

Did you ever get the feeling that the Sheldon persona is a sad reflection on some railfans who bore you to death with their trivia knowledge without being asked?  I try to avoid them, if possible.

Date: 11/14/20 09:25
Author: toledopatch

I see a lot of Sheldon in a few of the railfans I meet.

There's probably a bit of it even in me, though not as overboard as he is.

I did wonder why, for all of his supposed train interest, there was never a "Sheldon goes to Fullerton" episode of Big Bang Theory.

Date: 11/14/20 09:46
Author: 4451Puff

There's an episode of "Big Bang" where Sheldon talks the gang into going from LA to SF via train instead of flying. As they're getting settled in at (presumably) LAUPT, Sheldon is explaining to his cohorts what to expect during the days' journey when he gets cut-off by his roommate, "that's great, but meanwhile in the 21st century, people are putting up their trays & seatbacks at this moment because they're arriving in San Francisco!"
(I'm well aware that rail & airline industry operations between these two cities cater to two completely different types of traveler, but it was good comedy)
Desmond Praetzel, "4451 Puff"

Date: 11/14/20 10:27
Author: Frank30

Early ATSF Freight F units (Blue and yellow) started out with the "Cat Whisker Scheme" which then became the
"Cigar Band Scheme" which Young Sheldon wanted to include in his explanation, but they ran out of time!

Take a look at a Santa Fe engine with "Cat Whisker scheme" and you'll see the resemblance to the extremities
of the yellow logo on the face of the Alco PA warbonnet engines.

Where do I sign-up for that docent position?

Frank30

Date: 11/14/20 11:02
Author: jcaestecker

cabman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Did you ever get the feeling that the Sheldon
> persona is a sad reflection on some railfans who
> bore you to death with their trivia knowledge
> without being asked?  I try to avoid them, if
> possible.

Amen to that!  And the most annoying ones are the ones most impressed with themselves. 

Miss Manners would say, "Be tactful and nice, but find a way to graciously excuse yourself."

-John

Date: 11/14/20 12:35
Author: chakk

wabash2800 Wrote:

> Anyway, she says in this recent episode, Young
> Sheldon, who likes trains, gets a job at a museum
> involved with trains. Apparently, he is very
> knowledgeable but corrects too much and gets
> fired! LOL That probably would be me at that age.

> Victor A. Baird
> http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

While volunteering as an engineer at a weekday regular public session on the La Mesa Model Railroad last autumn, I was very impressed with a young boy (he looked to be about age 10) who proceeded to tell me everything he knew about consisting my two Bachmann B&O E7's while I put them on track with my 5-car B&O passenger train on the west siding at Marcel.  This was a few minutes after the museum opened, at the start of a 6-hour day for me running this train back and forth for the public between the turnaround loops at West Ilmon and Cable. With occasional tie-downs on one of the sidings at Caliente for beans and bio breaks, and various meets at other locations on the layout with the other two volunteers running trains that day, I completed 3 round trips on this active section of the layout between 10 AM and 4 PM.   In these pre-Covid days, a good time was had by all.

And in 4 years when he meets the minimum required age, I am sure he will return to La Mesa to get qualified for a Hill Job.

Date: 11/14/20 20:28
Author: wabash2800

It is good to see that my post was noted and there was some positive input from the TV show. At one of my Wabash book signings a few years ago at LaPorte, Indiana I came across a very young man, who probably wasn't more than eight years old, but was a diehard railfan and had a number of questions and comments.  IIRC, at first he wanted to correct me based on something his dad (or grand-dad?) had told him incorrectly.  But I was gentle with him and we got along fine. He went home with an autographed book. I didn't give him a free book, but if the person that did had not, I would have given him a free book.

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erstwhilepublications.com

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/20 10:47 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0943 seconds