Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > Santa Fe WHITE Reefer?

Date: 11/14/20 14:50
Santa Fe WHITE Reefer?
Author: RRBMail

What with lockdowns, etc., I have finally started my layout. Consequently, I am sorting out my mammoth collection of unbuilt HO kits, keeping those that are Rio Grande oriented and pulling foreign roads that are less likely to be seen running "Thru the Rockies" . The above is an old Train Miniature of Ill. Santa Fe reefer painted in white not reefer orange. Any TO's know what this scheme indicated? Thanks in advance!

Date: 11/14/20 15:46
Re: Santa Fe WHITE Reefer?
Author: PHall

The car is a "foobie". While Santa Fe did have a RR-44 class, they were steel ice cooled cars that had the swing doors.
Some early cars used in the 19th century were painted white but yellow-orange was used from at least 1910.
The car number 11334 belonged to an RR-S car built in 1913. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/20 15:47 by PHall.

Date: 11/15/20 23:51
Author: boejoe

Looks like T.O. member needles_sub posted some factual info eight hours after this blurb with correct info.  The model even has the proper road number.  TrainMiniature had an extensive product line when they were located near San Diego.  TMI seemed to only be in existence for a relatively short time.  Their packaging of the kit in a clear see through plastic box was different for the era.  Allowed customer to see what he was buying without removing typical cardboard cover and possible loss of parts.  I once saw a customer in my LHS deliberately go into a box and remove what he wanted for other purposes.

Date: 11/16/20 10:17
Author: PHall

boejoe Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks like T.O. member needles_sub posted some
> factual info eight hours after this blurb with
> correct info. 

I presented the FACTS that I found in the Santa Fe Railway Rolling Stock Reference Series - Volume Two, REFRIGERATOR CARS, Ice Bunker Cars 1884 - 1979
by C.Keith Jordan, Richard H. Hendrickson, John B. Moore and A.Dean Hale, Published by the Santa Fe Modelers Organization, Inc.

Date: 11/16/20 11:56
Author: dan

i thought SF had some white reefers really recent 80's??

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0423 seconds