Home Open Account Help 329 users online

Model Railroading > Toy Trains for Tots

Date: 11/15/20 16:33
Toy Trains for Tots
Author: wjpyper

All of us "older gentlemen" know that there has been a decline in interest in model railroading among the younger set. Our children and grandchildren seem to be more interested in video games than anything else. Every year at Christmas time the Marines run a "Toys For Tots" campaign in which they collect toys for needy kids who otherwise not get any under the tree. It occurred to me that by donating a toy train to that worthy cause I might make a child happy and also pique their interest in model railroading. So I have purchased a toy train set that I am going to donate to that cause. You might think about doing the same. There are toy trains available from about $30 up to as much as you want to spend. You can get them from Amazon, WalMart, Target, and many other markets.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 11/15/20 22:59
Re: Toy Trains for Tots
Author: Cumberland

I am in my mid-30s and have accumulated model trains since I was only 1 year old. The array of various types of trains has gone from BRIO, to G Scale, to N scale. All and all, I have collected around 400 pieces of rollingstock and probably well over a thousand feet of track. In terms of G Scale, I have collected about 50 pieces of LGB locomotives and cars. I started accumulating N Scale rollingstock when I was in 2nd grade, and now have a little over 200 models. 

My interest in trains has evolved over the years. For the past 10, my primary interest in trains has become heavily intertwined with my love of doing digital art - a 2-dimensional form of art. Yet, even though I have probably phased out of doing the 3-dimensional modeling indefinately, I am far from where I would give it away because of the fond memories I have associated with it.

You can view my digital illustrations in my COLOR on the Rails Series on my portfolio website, www.matthewjablonski.com.

Matthew

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/20 23:01 by Cumberland.

Date: 11/16/20 07:16
Author: atsf121

Great idea Bill. One other place we have seen train sets is Hobby Lobby.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/16/20 09:38
Author: Westbound

Great idea and generosity! A neighbor, who is a very accomplished woodworker, added to his grandson’s Brio set with additional “track” that he built which is much better than what Brio sells. I wonder how often others build wooden track and accessories.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0422 seconds