Home Open Account Help 258 users online

Model Railroading > A Christmas layout open house that is a Must Do! (Altadena,CA)

Date: 11/16/20 15:54
A Christmas layout open house that is a Must Do! (Altadena,CA)
Author: DC

For the past five years I have been visiting the Christmas Tree Lane Model Railroad Society during their open houses during Christmas time and I must say it is absolutely amazing. They often have over 20 blow up Christmas decorations and several hundred strands of lights. The entire street (Santa Rosa Ave. I believe it is) gets lit up every year and it is an incredible experience to see!!! Last time I visited the model railroad club they had a massive HO scale layout smack in the middle of the yard and it is huge with incredible scenery! They also have an incredible HOn3 layout in an adjacent building behind the main one. They have several host people and even a small place for me to grab hot chocolate and enjoy the trains. I spent nearly 3 hours there watching the trains go around and all of the staff are incredibly helpful, friendly and know a lot about railroad history.
I imagine that with the Covid regulations things might be slightly altered this year but if you are in the area this is an absolute must do. You will not be disappointed!

Date: 11/16/20 16:12
Re: A Christmas layout open house that is a Must Do! (Altadena,CA
Author: PHall

Most of the stuff I've seen on the LA news says that while the Christmas Lights will be there, but it's going to be a "drive by" thing.
No foot traffic so that they can maintain seperation. So it might be kinda hard to spend any time looking at a display.

Date: 11/16/20 16:33
Re: A Christmas layout open house that is a Must Do! (Altadena,CA
Author: DC

No Traditional Lighting Ceremony in 2020Past lighting ceremony was December 14, 2019, 6 p.m.Approx. 135 Deodar Cedar trees create the oldest large-scale outdoor Christmas display in the world! Christmas Tree Lane is on the National Register of Historic Places and is also California State Landmark No. 990. It has been designated as a landmark in its singularly significant social convergence of two commodities: the outdoor electric light and the automobile. Christmas Tree Lane is also recognized as the only botanical landmark on the State Registry. The tree lighting is a fun-filled day that includes an Arts and Crafts Festival at Altadena Library parking lot with vendors selling holiday gift items. Food vendors and food trucks are on hand selling budget gourmet. Christmas Tree Lane will continue to provide complimentary spiced hot cider, coffee and cocoa. Parking is limited on the streets surrounding the Altadena Library, 600 E. Mendocino St. So come early. Santa Rosa Ave., at the library, will be closed to vehicles after 4 p.m. Mariposa St. to Woodbury Rd., will be open to pedestrians to walk under the umbrella of twinkling lights and closed to vehicle traffic after 7 p.m. and reopen at 8 p.m. John Muir Alumni Drum Corp entertains the crowd.

This was the last post I saw on an Altadena, CA forum, maybe there has been a few changes since. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0328 seconds