Home Open Account Help 375 users online

Model Railroading > Leading a Hard Life

Date: 01/03/21 00:28
Leading a Hard Life
Author: funnelfan

SP 8307 has lead a hard life muscling trains over many mountain grades of the west. Specifically designed and weighted to be in helper service. Originally outfitted with computer and radio gear in the "snoot" to a remotely controlled helper. That proved unreliable in the tunnels and it would be up an actual engineer to get the most tractive effort out of her.
All those hours in Run 8 would vibrate the hell out of those engine deck lid seals, causing lube oil to spit out onto the inside of the hood doors and leak out around the bottom of the doors. Heat from the top of the engine where the exhaust pipes are fades and degrades the paint at the top of the hood door, eventually leading to rust under the dynamic brake vents where rain water comes out. Acid from the battery tray in the box just ahead of the cab door on the conductor's side leaks on the frame and truck below, causing excessive rusting. Then there is all the soot from hard shoving that causes exhaust to encase the locomotive while inside tunnels covering all the top surface of the motor. Sand dust and road grime covers the lower areas of the loco, with sand eating the paint on the trucks leading to rust there. At the rear of the main air reservoirs are water ejectors that drain a mix of condensed water and air compressor oil that leaves a dark stain on the fuel tank below. Spilled diesel at the fuel fillers also leaves additional stains that collect dirt.
Having run a sister to this locomotive (SSW 8375) for several years, I got to see what causes the various bits of weathering first hand. This is the fantastic ScaleTrains model, complete with sound.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/03/21 00:35 by funnelfan.

Date: 01/03/21 04:09
Re: Leading a Hard Life
Author: Lighter

Thanks for the information on why stuff is seeping out of the innards.

Date: 01/03/21 07:10
Author: tgcostello

Nice work Ted.
TC

Date: 01/03/21 07:28
Author: WrongWayMurphy

A most excellent weathering job you applied to this already nice model.

Date: 01/03/21 08:39
Author: FiveChime

Very nice!

Regards, Jim Evans

Date: 01/03/21 09:53
Author: Betsy

Interesting Ted!  I knew the infamous scorching of the pant (and Scotchlite lettering) was due to the exhaust manifolds and not the dynamic brakes, but the reason for the rust there is fascinating.  8307 is one number higher than my 8306, but the number of detail differences accounting for the four year difference in build dates is pretty surprising.  Scale Trains did a nice job with the SD40T-2, unfortunately for me (fortuately for the moeling budget), my modeling era and locale were dominated by the 20-cylinder EMD versions.  And while a remote mate for 8306 would be nice, I prefer the earlier version and due to their unique details, I doubt that Shane, Paul, Mike and company will ever do that version...

Elizabeth

Date: 01/03/21 10:02
Author: Jimmies

Very nicely done Ted.

Jim

Date: 01/03/21 10:59
Author: ChrisCampi

Excellent post Ted.

Date: 01/03/21 11:01
Author: ghemr

You did an excellent job with the weathering!

Date: 01/03/21 13:01
Author: Hookdragkick

Anybody else get the sweats after reading the OP's narrative? 😅 Good job on the finished motor.

Posted from Android

Date: 01/03/21 13:04
Author: dmaffei

Love the weathering. Thanks for the motivation. In my era of the 70s, some mountain locomotives were covered in sanding dust. Thanks for sharing 

Date: 01/03/21 19:03
Author: atsf121

Excellent work Ted, that is a fantastic looking model.

Posted from iPhone

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0416 seconds