Home Open Account Help 306 users online

Model Railroading > Rheostat Throttle

Date: 01/11/21 06:02
Rheostat Throttle
Author: EL-SD45-3632

This may be for the old school guys on TO's. I'm looking  for a couple rheostat throttles for my HO DC layout, they were manufactured to look like an EMD throttle handle and all that was required was to provide power from a power supply to the throttle. They were availbe in the 60's and they are cool looking and I can't remember the name of the manufacture, if I saw the name I would recognize the name. Thank you for any assistance you can provide! 

Date: 01/11/21 06:17
Re: Rheostat Throttle
Author: AMTRUK

Marnostat

Luke

Posted from Android

Date: 01/11/21 06:41
Author: Arved

Date: 01/11/21 08:22
Author: EL-SD45-3632

Thanks to the both of you! Just what I was looking for.

Date: 01/11/21 11:46
Author: santafesteve

I beleive Walthers was one of the dealers that sold these.

Date: 01/11/21 12:30
Author: Lighter

Assuming you find one in working condition do some testing before committing a modern locomotive model. The transformer and rheostat might be OK, but the SCR rectifier in those was from the very beginning of the silicone era. You might find yourself with a spot welder.

EDIT: Reading the opening post more closely  - Using just the rheostat with a modern DC supply should work fine. These were available in a power pack form with everything in a case and that is the basis of my warning. Also available in a separated under the table transformer with the panel mounted throttle continuing the rectifier and the rheostat. AND, also available with all three parts separated. Those were the days of 3 amp motors in HO locomotives so be suspicious of any fuses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/21 12:48 by Lighter.

Date: 01/11/21 17:25
Author: bearease

Arved Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> https://www.pdffiller.com/preview/417/749/41774936
> 2.png

Wow! That brings back memories. I had one of these on my old American Flyer set. Very cool!

Date: 01/12/21 03:03
Author: PHall

Didn't MRC (Model Rectifier Corp) have a unit that was basically just a rheostat and and a reversing switch in a hand held box?
IIRC you had to provide your own 12 vdc power supply. Think this was offered back in the 1970's.

Date: 01/12/21 07:12
Author: BAB

That type of thing brings to mind at the Seattle NMRA convention in the 60s bought a lever setup for switchs that looked much like the real thing in a tower. Never saw ads for them and have never seen them at a swap meet. Guess one would use choke cables back then to operate the remote switch.

Date: 01/12/21 07:30
Author: Arved

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Didn't MRC (Model Rectifier Corp) have a unit that
> was basically just a rheostat and and a reversing
> switch in a hand held box?
> IIRC you had to provide your own 12 vdc power
> supply. Think this was offered back in the 1970's.

MRC had the ThrottlePack, but it was a remote for the base station. You could hook it up with telephone RJ-11 type connectors and walk around your layout. The telephone cabling couldn't handle full output required for open frame motors of the time.

There were a couple companies that hopped on the idea for walk around throttles once modelers decided to get out from behind a control panel. Troller had a couple hand helds. Transcab I think was the more modern one. Tracker was an earlier, simpler one. Type "walk around throttle" into your favorite search engine for a trip down memory lane (for those of us old enough to remember).

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 01/12/21 10:45
Author: grahamline

Marn-O-Stats tended to be a little "leaky," especially as they aged.  You may well have difficulties stopping recent-production locomotive withe low current-draw motor. 

Date: 01/12/21 17:52
Author: up833

I use the MRC Model 20 with the walk round  reostat throttle. The cord looks similiar to a phone cord but is NOT.
kRB

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0414 seconds