Home Open Account Help 255 users online

Model Railroading > Cannon Parts

Date: 01/11/21 16:12
Cannon Parts
Author: BNModeler

Any idea as to why Cannon and Company parts are getting harder and harder to find?

Date: 01/11/21 16:49
Re: Cannon Parts
Author: PHall

I have no problem getting them. But I order direct from Cannon too.
http://www.cannonandco.net

Date: 01/11/21 19:55
Author: KM-ML4000

Cannon has virtually no fans available right now. Do not know why though.

Date: 01/11/21 20:55
Author: PHall

They do parts in batches. 

Date: 01/12/21 08:49
Author: original

Tey The Original Whistle Stop in Pasadena Ca - they have a "wall full " of Cannon parts
Original

Date: 01/12/21 09:15
Author: dh30973

As is noted at the top of my Shopping Cart, availability has been hampered by several things. Cannon is a one person operation. COVID has effected operations somewhat (although I'm fine). I don't make as many trips to the post office as before, but orders of available parts are usually shipped in a couple days.

Up until a couple months ago, I shot all the plastic myself. I have almost 150 molds in three different sizes that require three different mold bases that need to be swapped in and out of my 50 year old plastic press. Age has taken its toll on the press. A large diameter thread that needs to be adjusted to accommodate the difference between the thickness of the bases has seized. So it is in the setting that only one base can be run. I can't run the small base that hold 80% of the molds. I have made arrangements with a fellow manufacturer for him to run those parts and have shipped the molds to him. He has made those parts, so most of the parts are in stock with the exception of the 1701-1705 and 1851-1853 fans. Those 8 part numbers use the same fan ring.

That part has always been a difficult part due to it's thin near scale cross section. That mold was made in brass by Gordon Cannon twenty some years ago and has shot tens of thousands of parts and is worn out and can not shoot good parts. A new mold needs to be made. Until such time I am unable to offer for sale one of my most popular parts. Much to my regret. We are working on a replacement mold. No time line on that availability.

My Walthers buyer has ordered every two weeks and with the exception of a couple parts including the fans and switcher cabs, we are caught up on any back orders. So if your favorite shop doesn't have the parts it is not because they are not available from me except as noted.

I hope this enlightens the subject.
Dave Hussey
Cannon and Company

Date: 01/12/21 17:54
Author: TomG

"most of the parts are in stock with the exception of the 1701-1705 and 1851-1853 fans"

Great.....everything but what I need.

Date: 01/12/21 18:34
Author: lnrr1066

Dave 

Thank you very much for your candor.  I very much appreciate how very difficult it can be to make the unique tools to be able to produce detail parts which are the standard of the hobby, particularly in the age of Covid.  Thank you very much for everything you have done for the hobby.

Pat Dowler

Date: 01/13/21 04:38
Author: brfriedm

Looks like most parts are in stock. Thanks Dave for the update.  Bruce

https://shop.cannonandco.net/main.sc

Date: 01/13/21 08:27
Author: EL-SD45-3632

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> "most of the parts are in stock with the exception
> of the 1701-1705 and 1851-1853 fans"
>
> Great.....everything but what I need.

You sound so ungrateful, give him a break, he is doing what he can. New molds are not cheap! In the meantime, you can model F's and GP7 & 9's to keep you busy, those fans are in stock.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/21 08:30 by EL-SD45-3632.

Date: 01/13/21 20:54
Author: TomG

EL-SD45-3632 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> TomG Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > "most of the parts are in stock with the
> exception
> > of the 1701-1705 and 1851-1853 fans"
> >
> > Great.....everything but what I need.
>
> You sound so ungrateful, give him a break, he is
> doing what he can. New molds are not cheap! In the
> meantime, you can model F's and GP7 & 9's to keep
> you busy, those fans are in stock.

Quite right. I shouldn't sound so ungrateful, it is saving me 300 bucks. There is a sunny side to everything.

Date: 01/16/21 08:26
Author: MILW

Dave,
Thanks for continuing to make the parts. especially in covid times. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0441 seconds