Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > Working on my layout

Date: 01/12/21 15:12
Working on my layout
Author: hepc46

I haven't done much to my layout in a while, so i need to tweak a few things. But starting to get back into it, and hope to get more done on my scenery. My layout isn't based on anything in particular, but is designed with a fair amount of switching throughout. Different industries for a variety of commodities from fuel, scrap, paper, perishables, grain, etc.  Only one section has scenery, and I just added some trees that one of our Museum members makes.  Definitely need more.  I run mostly locomotives from railways that ran through the Niagara Region. I use the MRC Prodigy DCC system. I have always liked the cars from the various North American shortlines, so many of the 50ft boxcars on the line are from those.  Anyways, Just thought i'd share some pics and video that i've taken recently.  FIrst pic are Rapido, DCC/Sound, GMD1u #1437, GMD1 #1024 and C40-8w 2422.  The other 2 are the same units out on the main.

Ken
Niagara Falls

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/12/21 16:44 by hepc46.

Date: 01/12/21 15:22
Re: Working on my layout

The Wabash E unit is from Broadway Limited. Not something I usually run, but needed to get some time in on it. The video is CN GMD1u #1437. Loved running the actual unit, nice power, good visibility. So, sort of had to have a model of he unit I ran. Second pic shows the new trees, which were added after the video was done.

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 01/12/21 15:33

And Just a few more for the night.  The Paper Products warehouse.  A Norfolk Southern MP15 spots a car at the paper warehouse and after is pulling a car from the tool and die industry.

Date: 01/13/21 04:35
Author: Arved

I think your E-unit could use a diner train to look more plausible than hauling frieght. :)

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 01/13/21 07:05
Author: PasadenaSub

Great group of trains and photography.  I didn't notice these were N scale until I noticed the rails, the engines are so detailed these days.

Rich

Date: 01/13/21 10:10
Author: SPDRGWfan

N scale?  

Date: 01/13/21 16:27

The E unit was only on the freight for some running time.  It would look much better with a passenger train, but it's only run occaisionally, and Wabash passenger trains did not run in this area.  But it was such a nice looking locomotive, at such a good price, it was hard to turn down.

And apparently I forgot to mention in the original post, yes, it is N scale, sorry about that.

I was also asked about another caboose visible in the first image, one with the yellow cupola.  I have 2 cabeese made by Prarie Shadows/Rapido. One is a standard car, the one with the yellow cupola denotes the cars operated in International Service. They are very nice models, however, when bought, they were 2 giant pieces of crap. I messaged Rapido, and the N scale Guru at the time,  Mike McGratton (since sadly passed away) told me to bring them in and he'd fix them. They did not roll, AT ALL!! They wouldn't go through a turnout, wouldn't go around a curve, and did I mention they wouldn't roll? To the point that the locomotive struggled to pull the car.  Mike had them both fixed in about 10 minutes.  He cut a detail air line off the bottom, which could only be seen if the caboose fell over, and then tweaked the trucks.  He put them both on the test layout and they rolled great.  The light however is very bright, in the dark they light up the room. The red marker lights light up as well.  A couple of the grab irons are a bit thick, but they are nice looking cars that look great behind the switchers. I don't regret buying them, even with the issues.  They are just really nice cars to run.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/21 16:30 by hepc46.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0518 seconds