Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > MRC Sound Decoder

Date: 01/19/21 17:57
MRC Sound Decoder
Author: SD608708

I have come into possession of two MRC sound decoders and would like to get some information on them. They are 567 engine sound.
How reliable are they?
Are they worth using?
How is the sound?

Paul B
Canton, GA

Date: 01/19/21 18:17
Re: MRC Sound Decoder
Author: sixaxlecentury

They aren't. 
No.
Mediocre and outdated.

Unfortunately MRC sound decoders were pretty terrible. They sounded DECENT for the era, but are now just outdated technology. They have a pretty nasty habit of running
away randomly as well as other anomalies. Dump them and get an ESU..or even a Tsunami.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/21 18:18 by sixaxlecentury.

Date: 01/19/21 18:18
Author: TomG

Athearn Genesis F's came with MRC sound decoders, then they had a newer MRC decoder, then they went with Tsunami, then Tsunami 2s. The first one were pretty poor. the second ones were tolerable but not up to par with the Tsunami's in any stretch of the imagination. With that said, I cant just throw 12 of them away cause they aren't up to par with Tsunami's. So I use Tsunami's and Tsunami 2s in my F A units and the MRCs in the B units with them turned down. This gives them some sound different from the A units so they don't all sound alike and they control lights. So it really depends on which one you have. eventually Im going to replace them and toss them in the trash.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/19/21 18:19 by TomG.

Date: 01/20/21 10:21
Author: Arved

TomG Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Athearn Genesis F's came with MRC sound decoders,
> then they had a newer MRC decoder, then they went
> with Tsunami, then Tsunami 2s. The first one were
> pretty poor. the second ones were tolerable but
> not up to par with the Tsunami's in any stretch of
> the imagination. With that said, I cant just throw
> 12 of them away cause they aren't up to par with
> Tsunami's. So I use Tsunami's and Tsunami 2s in my
> F A units and the MRCs in the B units with them
> turned down. This gives them some sound different
> from the A units so they don't all sound alike and
> they control lights. So it really depends on which
> one you have. eventually Im going to replace them
> and toss them in the trash.

I have a couple Genesis F units with MRC sound decoders. They are horrible. Sound is mediocre, but speed control is the pits. You'd expect better from a company that's been in the MRR electronics business for so long. Newer models are reportedly more reliable. It's telling that Athearn switch to Soundtraxx (and also telling that IMRC went from Soundtraxx to ESU Loksound Select).

I've standardized on ESU Loksound V decoders, and will be replacing my MRC decoders with ESU Loksound V.

Good luck!

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0742 seconds