Home Open Account Help 262 users online

Model Railroading > Removing numbers from Rivarossi/Hornby GEs

Date: 02/16/21 10:02
Removing numbers from Rivarossi/Hornby GEs
Author: KM-ML4000

I am working on my BN GE Rivarossi U28C fleet, and want to remove the factory applied NP and CB&Q numbers. I have tried to remove the numbers with MicroSol with no luck.

Has anyone tried to remove the numbers and been successful without damaging the factory paint?

KM

Date: 02/17/21 07:36
Re: Removing numbers from Rivarossi/Hornby GEs
Author: BAB

Dont think they are any kind of decales could be wrong but should be paint.

Date: 02/17/21 12:34
Author: sixaxlecentury

Fow what its worth, I had to strip two of these, and even grit blasting had a hard time removing the lettering..

Date: 02/17/21 17:34
Author: tgcostello

KM, I had the same experience.  Used a curved razor scalple to scrape the lettering off, not pretty.  Will need to decal over or paint over the spot before relettering.
Tim Costello

Date: 02/18/21 14:04
Author: steeplecab

> KM, I had the same experience.  Used a curved razor scalpel to scrape the lettering off, not
> pretty.  Will need to decal over or paint over the spot before relettering.

Tim, I had to do the same thing with some Kato units. It takes a light hand and good optivisors to only go through the letters and stay within the limits of the existing numbers you're trying to remove. I thought I got pretty good results after I laid the new number in place and used decal set to snug it down.

Dano
Montana

Date: 02/18/21 15:35
Author: KM-ML4000

I even tried some Tamiya thinner on a micro brush with no luck.....

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0326 seconds