Home Open Account Help 248 users online

Model Railroading > More Paint Advice

Date: 02/27/21 06:57
More Paint Advice
Author: BL2

The previous thread by Philhoov and paint advice was very informative, but I want to go one step further.  Call me old school but for the past 40 years I have used thinner-based enamel paints, mostly Testors Model Master and Floquil.  Both are not being made anymore.  I have never been a fan of acrylic (water-based) paints for brushing or air brushing.  What if anything is available now in thinner-based model paints?  Also, I have wondered what is used on the new models being offered today.  Athearn, Atlas, Broadway Limited, Walthers.........to me the paint on these models do not seem like they are water-based.  Just curious.

Date: 02/27/21 08:28
Re: More Paint Advice
Author: Bscale316

Tru-Color seems to be the solvent based paint of choice today.
Lots of RR colors.
Just a suggestion.
Bill in Ft Worth

Date: 02/27/21 08:49
Author: BAB

Bscale316 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Tru-Color seems to be the solvent based paint of
> choice today.
> Lots of RR colors.
> Just a suggestion.
> Bill in Ft Worth

My thought on the off shore train items is they probalby use what we cannot as there enviro deal is on the black side not the eco side of things.

Date: 02/27/21 09:55
Author: Lighter

Scalecoat and Tru-Color are available and have railroad names on the bottles.

Humbrol and others on the military side of your hobby shop have enamels. Humbrol's range is extensive. 250 plus colors. 

AK Real Colors (AK Interactive) are acrylic lacquer similar to what body shops use. It thins with lacquer thinner. There are 112 colors and actively adding to the list. 

Abteilung 502 produces tube oils. About 70 colors. They have cataloged a railroad set, but the colors are matched to European railroads.

Ammo by (of) MIG and AK Interactive have extensive ranges of enamel weathering colors, filters, and washes.

Date: 02/27/21 18:29
Author: jburek

I use Scalecoat paint - great stuff.  Dries to a nice gloss ready for decals.

Date: 02/27/21 20:05
Author: up833

Thinner based paint?  Anything needing thinned is a thinner based paint. Water can be a thinner. So the paint you probably like would be a paint thinner type paint. Ketones, laquer thinner etc.
Water was the thinner for some old paints..gloppy speckled finish was possible. Tamya I think is latex buy uses an alcohol type base and is my paint of choice if a color is available.
RB

Date: 02/27/21 20:36
Author: PHall

up833 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thinner based paint?  Anything needing thinned is
> a thinner based paint. Water can be a thinner. So
> the paint you probably like would be a paint
> thinner type paint. Ketones, laquer thinner etc.
> Water was the thinner for some old paints..gloppy
> speckled finish was possible. Tamya I think is
> latex buy uses an alcohol type base and is my
> paint of choice if a color is available.
> RB

I think he's referring to enamel.

Date: 03/04/21 12:15
Author: video7105

I found this youtuber more then informational and interesting on doing air brushing type of paints. Yu might want to check him out

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_66OBQNO8jXkHjlxnnxT-A

Dave
In PA

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0314 seconds