Home Open Account Help 359 users online

Model Railroading > EMD SD40-2 HTC Truck Comparison

Date: 02/27/21 10:50
EMD SD40-2 HTC Truck Comparison
Author: funnelfan

I just made this comparison of the various EMD HTC trucks on SD40-2 models from ScaleTrains, Bowser, Intermountain, and the age old Athearn RTR. I didn't have the best prototype image, so the detail is a little weak there.

ScaleTrains; Clearly the best effort, they even included the safety chains. My only misgivings are the overemphasized panels for the EMD logo, serial numbers, and casting company logo. Also the pin detail for the brake adjusters is centered where it should be offset. ST modeled a type of brake adjuster there the pin is more toward the outside than on top like the prototype image, but both versions are correct.

Bowser; They made the Canadian version cast by Dofasco. A very good effort. My only gripes would be the lack of safety chains and any detail on the brake adjusters (raise your hand if you've ever actually adjusted or swapped out brakes shoes on a SD40-2!)

Intermountain; Looks like they just phoned it in, clearly the loser among this bunch. I think Bachmann made more of a effort, but I don't have one of their SD40-2's.

Athearn RTR; Very noble effort considering it was done nearly 40 years ago. If they just could redo those brake cylinders and remove the heavy cast lines and that lower cast plug. The truck still stands up well to today's models even if the SD40-2 shell looks quite a bit outdated by other SD40-2 models.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 02/27/21 12:46
Re: EMD SD40-2 HTC Truck Comparison
Author: BNSF20

Thanks for the photos! They show the detail well. I agree that ScaleTrains and Bowsers look the best, but if I'm not mistaken, the Athearn trucks were tooled by hand just like there later BB four axle trucks, which IMHO still make them look pretty amazing.

Date: 02/27/21 15:54
Author: run8diesel

My observation - only the Scale Trains HTC truck has accuratey captured the look of the 3rd traction motor facing the fuel tank.

HTC trucks manufactured by Bowser, Intermountain, Proto 2000 and Broadway Limited all have a big empty space where the traction motor should be, and visually, they look just plain wrong.  Having said this, I've been using the Details West traction motor detail part #TM-362 to correct this issue.

To Athearn's credit, they designed their HTC truck assembly in a way that fills this void.

Steve Zahn
Glenview, IL

Date: 02/28/21 11:03
Author: mmosher

Don't forget Kato and Broadway Limited

Michael Mosher
Millville, NJ

Date: 02/28/21 11:42
Author: JUTower

Interesting and informative. Thank you!

Date: 02/28/21 14:12
Author: nathan314

And here's Athearn Genesis on a SDF40-2. I'm not sure whether this is the same mold as RTR or not. 

Nathan Beauheim 
Loveland, CO

Date: 03/01/21 09:31
Author: tracktime

nathan314 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> And here's Athearn Genesis on a SDF40-2. I'm not
> sure whether this is the same mold as RTR or
> not. 

It's a new mold for these – the latest Athearn Genesis HT-Cs.  

How can you tell?

The new Athearn Genesis HT-Cs have the following new spotting features:

1) A bracket for sanding lines on the inboard side of the truck.
2) Air piping between the two brake cylinders.
3) Two sets of three lightening holes on the sideframe that appear slightly too large in diameter, IMHO.  

These new truck sideframes are found on Athearn Genesis SDP40Fs and SDF40-2s, and possibly also on the new Genesis SD60M as well, though with different journal details per prototype

Cheers,
Harry

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/01/21 18:00 by tracktime.

Date: 03/01/21 09:54
Author: TCnR

Good stuff, very informative.
t4p.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0575 seconds