Home Open Account Help 345 users online

Model Railroading > Flexible MDF panels for splined sub-roadbed

Date: 03/07/21 11:11
Flexible MDF panels for splined sub-roadbed
Author: SandingValve

Looking for information using flexible MDF panels ripped into strips and used for splined sub-roadbed. There was a layout builder who used this technique and I am looking for more info if anyone out there knows more.This is the only reference photo I managed to save from several years ago. I wish I took better notes and could give the original poster credit for both the technique and the image!Thanks,
SV

Date: 03/07/21 12:21
Re: Flexible MDF panels for splined sub-roadbed
Author: TCnR

Yep, that was Rod Loder outside of Salem, Oregon. The material is apparently for making curved cabinet exteriors. Rod is well known in the general Oregon area with an Espee in Oregon site. Rod's Layout website has not been updated although the Layout progress is reportedly well into Mainline trackage, Rod occasionally posts on TO as TunMtr.  http://espee-in-oregon.com/rodespee/?cat=7

Dave Maffei was following up on the idea, Dave will probably update.

+ updated per Dave's description.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/21 22:53 by TCnR.

Date: 03/07/21 17:20
Author: tsokolan

I've been using 1/4" MDF  ripped into strips on a table saw for my roadbed. 8 strips are laminated together using yellow construction grew then screwed to the risers. It's very durable and makes froming curves easy. So far I've had no issues with warping.

-Trevor

Date: 03/07/21 20:56
Author: dmaffei

https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?3,4731723,4731921#4731921
It's called Kerf board I believe. A good cabinet shop would be the place to look or call. I called and found it in the Bay Area. You need to cut it on a table saw to your desired size.
https://www.richelieu.com/us/en/category/surfaces-panels-and-edgebanding/functional-panels/kerfkore-boards/1059141

Good to hear from you SV!

Date: 03/08/21 19:51
Author: tunmtr

Say there Layout Builders - the Product is call "Kerfkore - Bender Board"(just Goggle it - comes right up) - Great Product for Sub Roadbend - Makes Beautiful Curve with Easements - Best to use a 3M Scotch-Weld Hot Melt Applicator with a Quadracck Convertor -- Glue is Jet-melt #3738-Q (Yellow Carpernter Glue) comes out of the Gun at 300 degrees - Best System in the World for Wood Prooducts !

Date: 03/08/21 21:17
Author: SandingValve

Thanks Dave! I thought that maybe someone here would have the answer. I have a new 19x20 layout space under construction. Looking at benchwork and subroadbed options.

The real question is:
Do I model a rendition of a portion of SP's famed Shasta Division??
or
Do I proto-freelance some flavor of SP west of Nevada?

SV

Date: 03/09/21 18:16
Author: dmaffei

Either way, use the Kerf bender board. It's a great way to replace spline. 
Working on this Shasta layout in Redding CA with Rick:
http://mrr.trains.com/-/media/Files/PDF/trackplans/2018/Model%20Railroad%20Planning%202018/HOscaleSouthernPacificShastaDivision.pdf
Keep us posted on your project 
Dave

SandingValve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks Dave! I thought that maybe someone here
> would have the answer. I have a new 19x20 layout
> space under construction. Looking at benchwork and
> subroadbed options.
>
> The real question is:
> Do I model a rendition of a portion of SP's famed
> Shasta Division??
> or
> Do I proto-freelance some flavor of SP west of
> Nevada?
>
> SV

Date: 03/15/21 12:31
Author: BayByDayBasinByBirth

Hi Rod, it's the Kerfkore "Flexboard" correct? What's your best tableware blade to cut them into roadbed strips with? I have a Diablo brand blade with high count fine rip teeth currently set up on my table saw.., 
version with the .080" hardboard laminated sheet side per the manufacturer link below:

https://www.awi-wa.com/products/specialty-sheet-products/kerfkore/

What's your best tableware blade to cut them into roadbed strips with? I have a Diablo brand blade with high count fine rip teeth currently set up on my table saw. It's worked pretty good on plywood, laminates and most 2x, 4x lumber.

tunmtr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Say there Layout Builders - the Product is call
> "Kerfkore - Bender Board"(just Goggle it - comes
> right up) - Great Product for Sub Roadbend - Makes
> Beautiful Curve with Easements - Best to use a 3M
> Scotch-Weld Hot Melt Applicator with a Quadracck
> Convertor -- Glue is Jet-melt #3738-Q (Yellow
> Carpernter Glue) comes out of the Gun at 300
> degrees - Best System in the World for Wood
> Prooducts !
>  

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0788 seconds