Home Open Account Help 316 users online

Model Railroading > Curious about ATSF yellowbonnet Fs.

Date: 03/07/21 12:48
Curious about ATSF yellowbonnet Fs.
Author: Txtrainman60

I've had a number of you inform me that both MTH and Athearn genesis did versions of the yellow & silver F-7s. Sadly this was before I got back into Ho scale modeling.My question is, why are these models SO hard to find? Once in a blue moon you'll see a B-unit on E-bay but never an A unit! Was it a very limited run from both companies or are they just THAT popular?

Posted from Android

Date: 03/07/21 13:46
Re: Curious about ATSF yellowbonnet Fs.
Author: mcdeo

They are that popular and not run all that often. The good news is, Athearn is re-running them, after like 11+ years. Ultimately, I think there are just way too many paint schemes for F units and it's a 'pre-order' world. If you miss it, then you'll have to troll the auction sites and/or hope someone re-runs them eventually. 

At least the hobby continues to update models and makes improvements. It's tough sometimes navigating what you want, when you want, but hopefully something is available to work with as needed. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 03/07/21 14:01
Author: RRBMail

Intermountain also made the Yellow/Blue Bonnets. Athearn also issued a two engine Blue Bonnet / Yellow Bonnet SE Special Edition Set. They are on an auction site right now--if you like to add your own details. BTW Yellow Bonnets were passenger-geared and showed up on early Amtrak trains. Of course there also was a "Gold Bonnet", but that's a different story. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/21 16:03 by RRBaron.

Date: 03/07/21 16:08
Author: Txtrainman60

mcdeo Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> They are that popular and not run all that often.
> The good news is, Athearn is re-running them,
> after like 11+ years. Ultimately, I think there
> are just way too many paint schemes for F units
> and it's a 'pre-order' world. If you miss it, then
> you'll have to troll the auction sites and/or hope
> someone re-runs them eventually. 
>
> At least the hobby continues to update models and
> makes improvements. It's tough sometimes
> navigating what you want, when you want, but
> hopefully something is available to work with as
> needed. 
>
>  That's your opinion on having TOO many paint schemes for F units. Obviously you don't care for them...I do! As for this pre-order crap, that's the MAIN reason I wish I'd stayed out of modeling again. It's just not worth it.

Date: 03/07/21 16:30
Author: BNModeler

Justmask off the red and paint it blue.
All the lines are already in placce and the blue should cover the red pretty easily.

Date: 03/07/21 18:00
Author: PHall

You could use the Highliner bodyshell kits too.

Date: 03/09/21 10:57
Author: TomG

Txtrainman60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> mcdeo Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > They are that popular and not run all that
> often.
> > The good news is, Athearn is re-running them,
> > after like 11+ years. Ultimately, I think there
> > are just way too many paint schemes for F units
> > and it's a 'pre-order' world. If you miss it,
> then
> > you'll have to troll the auction sites and/or
> hope
> > someone re-runs them eventually. 
> >
> > At least the hobby continues to update models
> and
> > makes improvements. It's tough sometimes
> > navigating what you want, when you want, but
> > hopefully something is available to work with
> as
> > needed. 
> >
> >  That's your opinion on having TOO many paint
> schemes for F units. Obviously you don't care for
> them...I do! As for this pre-order crap, that's
> the MAIN reason I wish I'd stayed out of modeling
> again. It's just not worth it.

I dont think he is saying there are to many F units, rather I think he is saying there are so many to do that it takes some time before they come around full circle to do them again. And if I'm wrong and he thinks there are to many F's...shame on you.  :)

Date: 03/12/21 13:08
Author: mcdeo

Yes, I was not clear on that point it seems, but there are too many paint schemes to be covered by any one manufacturer or multiple companies. I'm all in favor of as many paint schemes on units and as many to be covered by companies to produce all that are/were around. I know it has been stated many times, RTR and fully painted locos sell, undecs don't make money. 

I know some companies do at least 300 locomotive items of one scheme. If they don't think they can sell that many as a minimum, then they won't build them. Look at some of the pre-order sites that if they don't get enough orders, they won't do the run of that paint scheme. I'd love if companies could just produce stuff. Unfortunately, no one can have inventory sitting around for years anymore, and without cash flow, companies don't survive. Which is the side issue of pre-order or your out. I get it, and have to work with it. 

Hope that is a bit more clear on the paint variation volume needed to be covered. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0504 seconds