Home Open Account Help 333 users online

Model Railroading > On the subject of 77 year old decals...

Date: 03/30/21 07:34
On the subject of 77 year old decals...
Author: sparky52t

I thought I'd share with you the successful transfer of a large decal - 5"x6" that I'd found among my fathers possessions after he'd passed away several years ago. During WW II, late in the conflict, he was a skipper on an LCT, off-loading arms from warships in Norfolk, VA. I'm not sure how he came across the decal but have always wanted to see how it really looked off its white paper backing sheet. I read a tip from someone on TO suggesting that hot water would help with an old transfer and it sure did! 

Have a look. 

Date: 03/30/21 08:32
Re: On the subject of 77 year old decals...
Author: rbx551985

Can that be photographically copied (physically and / or legally, if need be) into a new "file" so it can be reproduced on more modern decal paper or decal sheet backing -- before taking a chance that using that actual decal might damage it during application?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/21 08:33 by rbx551985.

Date: 03/30/21 09:54
Author: wjpyper

Interesting image. What does it represent?
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 03/30/21 11:26
Author: tehachapifan

Patch/logo artwork for an aircraft carrier flight deck crew perhaps?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/30/21 11:26 by tehachapifan.

Date: 03/30/21 11:33

Can that be photographically copied (physically and / or legally, if need be) into a new "file" so it can be reproduced on more modern decal paper or decal sheet backing -- before taking a chance that using that actual decal might damage it during application?

I'd imagine it could. The image I posted is a shot of the decal from my cell phone. I could scan it on my flatbed to a higher resolution and anyone with that file could produce a decal or photo quality print. 

Date: 03/30/21 11:39

Patch/logo artwork for an aircraft carrier flight deck crew perhaps?

I'm willing to bet that your guess is spot on. My Mom had two brothers who flew Hellcats and Avengers in the Pacific campaign. Since all those brave fellows are gone I can only imagine the decal exchange after all the boys returned home after the war. 

Date: 03/30/21 11:55
Author: RJM29

That's the logo for Fighting Squadron-SIXTEEN (VF-16), the "Pistol-Packin' Airdales", which flew Grumman F6F Hellcats on two combat cruises during WWII;  USS Lexington (CV-16) SEP 1943-JUN 1944 and USS Randolph (CV-15) JUN-SEP 1945.  They were credited with 154.5 aerial victories through the war. 
The attached logo is via the Tailhook Association.
Rick Morgan

Date: 03/30/21 12:35

Wow! Thanks so much for providing that info. I'll pass the news along to my Mom, who's 95 years old and the only surviving member of the family. When I mentioned the decal to my Mom she speculated that it had come from one of her brothers. 

Thanks again. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0476 seconds