Home Open Account Help 296 users online

Model Railroading > broadway limited 4-8-4 northern paragon 2

Date: 04/01/21 14:11
broadway limited 4-8-4 northern paragon 2
Author: schneid

I recently fried the electronic unit on my 4-8-4 steam engine.  I replaced it with a new one since they said that they were 8 weeks behind on repairs.  I installed the unit and the sound works great but the engine only runs backwards and at full speed.  Anyone know what the problem might be?

thanks, paul

Date: 04/01/21 17:34
Re: broadway limited 4-8-4 northern paragon 2
Author: needles_sub

schneid Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently fried the electronic unit on my 4-8-4
> steam engine.  I replaced it with a new one since
> they said that they were 8 weeks behind on
> repairs.  I installed the unit and the sound
> works great but the engine only runs backwards and
> at full speed.  Anyone know what the problem
> might be?
>
> thanks, paul

Yes, it's a Broadway Limited Model. Remove the original electronics, replace with a after market DCC unit, and you will have a trouble free, great running model.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/01/21 18:29
Author: NYCStL776

schneid Wrote:
> I recently fried the electronic unit on my 4-8-4
> steam engine.  I replaced it with a new one since
> they said that they were 8 weeks behind on
> repairs.  I installed the unit and the sound
> works great but the engine only runs backwards and
> at full speed.  Anyone know what the problem
> might be?
>
> thanks, paul
Can you stop the locomotive with the throttle, or does it start running at full speed as soon as power is applied?

Date: 04/02/21 04:32
broadway limited 4-8-4 northern paragon 2

It runs backward as soon as power is applied.

Date: 04/02/21 10:16
Author: funnelfan

Have you pulled the decoder settings up in JMRI yet? Or tried a factory reset on the decoder?

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/02/21 10:16 by funnelfan.

Date: 04/02/21 10:27
Author: NYCStL776

schneid Wrote:
> It runs backward as soon as power is applied.
The motor may be connected to a function output for a light. I would try several function buttons to see if that is your problem.

Date: 04/05/21 06:53

yes, I have tried to reset the decoder several times.

Date: 04/10/21 16:47
Author: ATSFSuperCap

Broadway Limited electronics are junk.   I have several engines that will do this, start running just fine and then at some point they flip out and are no longer controllable.   They are in a run away situation, the E brake will NOT stop them only turning off power to the block stops them.   Then when re applying power they are dead and only work after doing an 8 to 8 reset and then all your settings are lost.  Once they are back running they will eventually do it again.   Yet several of the same engines with different numbers never flip out, for instance three of four RSD15's all from the same run do it and one never does it, same with E1's and E6's.    My ATSF 4-8-4's are Blue Line, they do not do this but the sound is inferior by todays standards.   Oh and be ware of Blue Line stuff as you will wind up with TWO decoders one is on the sound board and the other whatever you have installed to run the motor, they can get out of sink on address without you doing anything "wrong".   So say the engine still runs byut the sound is dead, that is likely because the sound board flipped out back to the start address of 3.    I can go on with B-Way.    There stuff does look very very nice and the diesels run very well but the steam engines have crummy drives and do not run smoothly.    Outside of the two ATSF 4-8-4's I sold all the B-Way steam and went back to brass.   I have corresponded many times with Broadway about this and they will not acknowledge that this happens.    I do not have this issue with any other decoders.    

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0517 seconds