Home Open Account Help 392 users online

Model Railroading > The Book Has Landed! And some Onondaga Cutoff updates.

Date: 04/01/21 05:10
The Book Has Landed! And some Onondaga Cutoff updates.
Author: RGDave

Good morning!

I am excited to share that my first book, Guide to Signals and Interlockings, has been released in print from Kalmbach Media.  After several years of work it is amazing to hold it in my hands and see how it came together - it's a thrill to see it in print!  The book is the culmination of my journey and documents the work of the group that has been instrumental in the construction of a working centralized traffic control (CTC) system on my HO scale model railroad, and how our project can help you do the same for your layout.  

The print version came out beautifully and presents the world of signals from their prototype history and philosophy through the layered approach to construction of the whole system.  We touch on different types of track detection, different signal types, different prototypes and how they work to move trains.  

It's available where books are sold, or online at the usual spots as well as directly from the publisher:  https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/book/12824

1.  Me a few minutes after receiving my author's copy of the new book in the mail.  What a thrill!

Count on a book release party in virtual format on the OC Facebook Page on Saturday April 10, at 9 p.m. Eastern, during our next live remote operations session:  https://www.facebook.com/onondagacutoff/

This caps off what was a busy few months on the Onondaga Cutoff as I was also able to finally make time to build the 'deep' staging tracks, allowing for the addition of unit trains to the traffic rotation on the Onondaga Cutoff.  It was built in two pieces - one on the floor, with part also being constructed at a staged spot on the layout itself, which was rotated into place and attached to the first tangent piece.  This was a long and tight process and not much fun during construction, but very satisfying to have completed.  Last weekend I also finished up the install of the final piece, the updated local control panel for the Island Yard.  

2.  The long tangent ready for install after construction and feeder wiring on the floor of layout space.  It will be installed atop the black brackets in the top left.  

3.  The completed Island Panel, having been updated with the new 'deep staging' area at the bottom right.  Crews follow the yellow light route to the assigned tracks during operating sessions.  

Thanks for looking!
~Dave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 04/01/21 05:59
Re: The Book Has Landed! And some Onondaga Cutoff updates.
Author: jimleighty

Looking good Dave!  Boy, that new staging had to be painful (literally) to install while standing on your head.  Looking forward to seeing you start regular sessions again.

Date: 04/01/21 08:37
Author: atsf121

Congrats Dave, need to grab a copy.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 04/01/21 09:52
Author: mattwinegar54

Congratulations!  Quite an accomplishment, i'm sure.

Date: 04/01/21 11:39
Author: TomG

What a shameless plug......Just kidding. Mine showed up in the mail yesterday, cant wait to get home tomorrow night and start reading it. Im excited for both of us!

Date: 04/01/21 12:27
Author: SPDRGWfan

Pretty cool and having lived in Liverpool NY from 1994 - 2009 and driven though the area represented many times on Hwy 81 south of SorryExcuse, er Syracuse, I can safely say without reservation that Dave has nailed the look of Conrail in that area during that period.  Pretty amazing.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 04/01/21 14:48
Author: wabash2800

Dave:

Is there anything in there for us seasoned, older style interlocking fans (semaphore signals and Armstrong levers)?

Victor A. Baird
http://www.erswhilepublications.com

Date: 04/01/21 17:05
Author: AVR3001

Dave,
Well done!  Received your book last Friday and can already say that your book is one of the best in my Kalmbach library.  This will be a continuous source of helpful information as I have designed and am building a model railroad which is to be signalized for 16' train lengths and 20' blocks.  While I have studied PRR signals and interlockings from numerous sources, your book integrates all of the information needed to verify my plans and advance my HO signal system.  This book and the time and experience you invested in it are really appreciated!  Thank you.

Date: 04/02/21 04:59
Author: wictl

I could the book and only paged through it.  Looks good

Darin Umlauft
A WC, SOO and GBW fan in Slinger, WI

Date: 04/02/21 06:05

Thanks, everyone!

Victor, in short, yes.   

First, the key to building a reliable system is the understanding of how signals are located and for what reasons, and then to build a robust system for track detection - how the system knows what track is occupied and what track is not.  That logic is the same for any system, mechanical or electrical, from the first automatic systems until today.  If your detection works well, you're in great shape for a good system.

For modelers interested in the older mechanical plants and for transition-era modelers, I included a number of discussions and examples of how modelers have created a system.  In fact, there is a whole appendix that includes how to scratchbuild an interlocking bed, as well as several diagrams to show how semaphores can be wired and references on where more information is available.

I hope you find it useful!
~Dave
https://onondagacutoff.blogspot.com/

Date: 04/02/21 17:33
Author: joemvcnj

8 toggle switches I assume for 8 turnouts, but only one button for all to operate them ? 

Date: 04/02/21 19:46
Author: wabash2800

Edit: I checked my local hobby shop to see if they had one. They didn't, so I ordered one direct from Kalmbach (or their ordering service). Unfortunately, my experience is that it takes forever to get anything from them. 

Thanks Dave. I'll get a copy and see if I learn something new.

Victor

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 04/08/21 18:29 by wabash2800.

Date: 04/02/21 20:18
Author: PHall

joemvcnj Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> 8 toggle switches I assume for 8 turnouts, but
> only one button for all to operate them ? 

They're three position, center off switches, why would you need a button to operate them?

Date: 04/03/21 04:42
Author: dboehlke

I love your book. I especially liked the chapter on the manual signal system.

Thanks.

Dan Boehlke
New Ulm, MN

Date: 04/03/21 09:50

Thanks again, everyone!  

Joe, the Island panel reflects the periodic changes to "The Island", which to date has primarily been a locomotive staging yard.  During sessions, freight consists will change locomotives so as to represent different trains later in the session.   This new addition of 'deep' staging, however, has made the Island more than an engine yard.   

The 8 turnouts do guide movements through the junction, and are controlled by crews or by the Trainmaster.   The 11 switch is the push-button pair that comes off the PSX-AR board directly; the others are DPDT, on-on (two position) toggles that throw the tortoises for those turnouts.  

The on-off at the bottom right doesn't effect the turnouts; that's for the track power to the new deep staging yard.  I figure there is no need for 3 new unit trains and associated locomotives to take power from a session where they won't run.  We'll see how the operation goes.  If more labels are needed, we will add them just like Conrail did!  :-)

~Dave

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0869 seconds