Home Open Account Help 257 users online

Model Railroading > Old Lionel train values?

Date: 04/06/21 12:48
Old Lionel train values?
Author: Ntrainfan

One of my relatives was doing some spring cleaning and was wondering if some stored Lionel trains she found are worth anything. I can't speak to their operation but they seem to be in fairly good physical condition. Here's a couple of attached photos, and if there are any places that are good to research this sort of thing, that would be greatly appreciated. She lives in Kansas, a couple of hours away from Kansas City. I'm an N scale guy so don't have any interest in these...
Thanks to everyone in advance for your opinions of their value and any other suggestions!

Date: 04/06/21 13:54
Re: Old Lionel train values?
Author: ATSF_Cliff

Lionel 'values' or what you can get for them have been in strong decline since their peak in the late 80's to the early 90's.  People still like the vintage stuff but Lionel et al have cashed in by re-issuing many pre and post war items.

What does that mean for the items from your post?  Unfortunately the truly valuable post war items are in mint condition in like new boxes with all paperwork and accessories.  Disappointing?  Yes.  Are your items worthless?  No.  Clean them up and get them functioning properly and get a table at a train show.  Operators (vs Collectors) will be tickled with nice reliable items.

Your track is probably not worth the time to clean it.  The two model 1033 90W transformers with new SAFE AC cords might fetch up $50.  To get this they need to be clean, complete and functional.  The inspection car in running condition probably worth about the same.  The loco and rolling stock are from low end department store sets and again probably not worth the time and cost of rehab to re-sell.

This probably isn't what you wanted to hear but it is what it is.  Tell your kin to clean 'em and run them.  That's probably their highest value, having 60-70 year old family toys that still work.

Cliff Rutherford
Grain Valley, MO

Date: 04/06/21 14:08
Author: wjpyper

This is what I found looking at the latest edition of Greenberg's Lionel Trains Pocket Price Guide, which is model railroading's version of the Kelly Blue Book. The #6357 Caboose could be worth as much as $473 (probably less). #356-225 Operating Gondola, $20. #64361 Lehigh Valley Hopper $10 to $44. I need the numbers on the locomotive and the 2-dome tank car to look up a value. The number 50 tractor could be worth as much as $175.  Old Lionel track sections are worth no more than 10 to 25 cents each. The transformers are probably worthless, even if they work. Send me a PM with more info and I will look up the rest for you.
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/21 14:11 by wjpyper.

Date: 04/06/21 14:47
Author: WrongWayMurphy

I am not a Lionel guy but I hang with a guy that is.

I emailed him your photos and he says there is nothing of much value
there unless you have the original boxes, and the boxes are in good shape.

Date: 04/06/21 20:08
Author: Streamliner

wjpyper Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is what I found looking at the latest edition
> of Greenberg's Lionel Trains Pocket Price Guide,
> which is model railroading's version of the Kelly
> Blue Book. The #6357 Caboose could be worth as
> much as $473 (probably less). #356-225 Operating
> Gondola, $20. #64361 Lehigh Valley Hopper $10 to
> $44. I need the numbers on the locomotive and the
> 2-dome tank car to look up a value. The number 50
> tractor could be worth as much as $175.  Old
> Lionel track sections are worth no more than 10 to
> 25 cents each. The transformers are probably
> worthless, even if they work. Send me a PM with
> more info and I will look up the rest for you.
> Bill Pyper
> Lacey, WA
>  

When you say "as much as," you are citing values for extremely rare variations.  The average 6357 caboose--which is about 99% of the hundreds of thousands of them out there--is worth $5.00 to $10.00.

Date: 04/07/21 10:40
Author: wag216

Plus, that loco has no trailing truck. plus/ or minus 50 bucks. wag216

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0429 seconds