Home Open Account Help 335 users online

Model Railroading > Stripping Floquil paint off brass models

Date: 04/10/21 14:35
Stripping Floquil paint off brass models
Author: scrimjimmy

What is the best and easiest way to strip paint off some Brass Passenger cars. I am looking to purchase a collection of trains from a party that passed away . He had painted some of the passenger cars with a brush and floquil paint. Not the best paint job. I would like to make them look a little better for resale.

Jim Bartelt

James Bartelt
Port Washington, WI
Metro Model Railroad Club, Ltd

Date: 04/10/21 16:19
Re: Stripping Floquil paint off brass models
Author: BNModeler

Scalecoat Wash Away
I have a glass spaghetti container that I fill up and put the car in one end at a time, soak and then use a toothbrush and scrub it off.

Date: 04/10/21 16:30
Author: ATSFSuperCap

You can also use alcohol 99% Isopropryl and standard auto brake fluid.    I use old Lypton instand Ice tea jars and put a plastic bag on top to slow evaporation.     These can be used on plastic cars as well, however some cheap plastics may not like these.      Rich.

Date: 04/10/21 18:08
Author: grahamline

There are several different composition brake fluids available these days.  Do you prefer a specific type?

Date: 04/10/21 18:10
Author: PHall

There's also chemical paint stripper and media blast too.
However you get the paint off you're going to need to apply a clear coat to the bare metal or it will start to tarnish fairly quickly.

Date: 04/10/21 18:18
Author: tomstp

Chemical paint stripper is the best.   Get it at Home Depot

Date: 04/11/21 00:57
Author: Hookdragkick

I've had great success using DOT 3 Brake Fluid on a brass GP50 and 4650 cu ft hopper by Overland. I also used tall and thin 33.8 FL OZ water bottles which allowed me to fully submerge the models, using less than 32 FL OZ of brake fluid.

Posted from Android

Date: 04/11/21 12:41
Author: NCA1022

Another tray option for longer equipment like passenger cars are kitchen drawer organizer trays.   I found a tray years ago that was modular, intended so the customer would buy the lengths needed.  A long one intended for knives worked great for stripping passenger cars.

- Norm

Date: 04/11/21 16:15
Author: Auburnrail

I've always used plain laquer thinner very successfully.
Disassemble model , remove any plastic, such as
bolsters and the drive system) and submerse.
You can use an old toothbrush for any crevices.
Be aware that some screens may fall off, since
Overland often used CA glue to attach these.
Just follow common sense precautions.
George Andrassy 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0522 seconds