Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Model Railroading > Aztec Annihilator Track Cleaning Car

Date: 06/07/21 17:35
Aztec Annihilator Track Cleaning Car
Author: jburek

I own one of these cars and they do a nice job.  Question I have is can I use mineral spirits in the reservoir of this car without damage to the plexiglass, PVC, & plastic this car is made of?  I have used alcohol with no issue, but would like to switch to mineral spirits.
JB

Date: 06/07/21 17:41
Re: Aztec Annihilator Track Cleaning Car
Author: wjpyper

In my opinion Mineral Spirits would be okay. Be sure that it is mineral spirit and not Stoddard Solvent or paint thinner. However, mineral spirits might leave a slight deposit on the rails affecting contact. 
Bill Pyper
Lacey, WA

Date: 06/07/21 18:30

The NMRA has looked into track cleaning solvents & has determined that mineral spirits is one of the best track cleaners out there - much better than alcohol.  I saw the video on this and I'm convinced.  We have been using it at our club for several months now with solid results.

Date: 06/07/21 22:03
Author: funnelfan

Just looked into this car a little, a read that certain chemicals like goo gone will make the roller become sticky and slide.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/08/21 19:47

Won't use GooGone - just mineral spirits.

Date: 06/15/21 03:55
Author: santafesteve

You want to use ODORLESS MINERAL SPIRITS. Thats what the  LaMesa Club in San Diego uses.  No longer can it be obtained here in California so it's smuggled across the border.

Date: 06/16/21 06:55

Used it in this car for the first time yesterday - no issues - worked well.

Date: 06/16/21 09:50
Author: Arved

santafesteve Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> You want to use ODORLESS MINERAL SPIRITS. Thats
> what the  LaMesa Club in San Diego uses.  No
> longer can it be obtained here in California so
> it's smuggled across the border.

Just out of curiosity... Klean Strip has a CARB formulated Oderless Mineral Spirit, but it's "Not intended for sale or use in South Coast Air Quality Management District (SCAQMD)." So, how far do y'all have to go to get the CARB version, is it suitable, or do you have to go out of state to smuggle in the real thing?

Just curious - "not my monkey - not my circus" and I have no intent of making this political or anti-California.

Arved Grass
Fleming Island, FL

Date: 06/18/21 05:31
Author: miniempire

As a SoCAl resident for nearly all my life I had to look that one up.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0321 seconds