Home Open Account Help 325 users online

Model Railroading > BA&P boxcabs

Date: 06/07/21 23:50
BA&P boxcabs
Author: fbe

At long last I own a pair of these HO brass locomotives by Suydam.

One has both trucks powered the other has one dummy truck. The power from the motor to the powered truck is via coiled springs.

The plan is to repower each open motor unit with the Athearn Genesis electric motors from their SD45/SD40 RTR/Blue Box models.

Fortunately there is a lot of open space inside the unit.

The units will be DCC with traction sound for the pea whistle, bell and compressor sounds.

Is there any experience and suggestions from anyone who has finished or planned something like this?

Thanks.

Alan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/21 00:24 by fbe.

Date: 06/08/21 07:58
Re: BA&P boxcabs

Here are some photos of a custom painted unit by Heather and the drive mechanism and the open motor I want to replace.

Date: 06/08/21 13:21
Author: tramfan

I think that I would instead use a Mashima motor with the specs close to matching the open frame motor. That way the rpm match would be the same over the more mass-produced Athearn motor. Add a flywheel as well. Sometimes the springs can put more tension on the drive than needed. You might consider a rubber/synthetic o-ring in place of the springs. Or I had a Suydam ITC Class C that I put a light coat of silicone on the spring belts which smoothed the rotation/grip on the belt a bit.

Date: 06/09/21 02:29
Author: MMD

Have you considered powering them with NWSL Spuds,   I do not know the wheel base for these units but NWSL may have some thing that would suit.

Malcolm
New Zealand.

Date: 06/09/21 10:48

Malcolm,

Spuds were the PFM truck mounted drive system and are no longer available.

NWSL now makes the same type in their Stanton drive system. If you send them the dimensions you need for wheelbase and driver diameter they will custom build what you need from their wall of parts. I think you can even specify spoked wheel sets.

I got a full NWSL factory/warehouse tour before they moved north out of Montana's Bitterroot Valley. Nothing is made in China. I may go the NWSL route to eliminate the spring belts and power all axles on both locomotives if the boxcab side frames can use used.

Contact

NWSL.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/21 10:57 by fbe.

Date: 06/10/21 14:02
Author: steeplecab

Nice catch! I'm still looking for a pair. NWSL killed anybody else building them by announcing them and then later never building them.
Dano
Helena

Date: 06/13/21 23:50

The wheel base of the power truck is 9' and NWSL makes Stanton drives in that length. The 10 spoke drivers measure around 45" and are mounted on 0.1" axles. Getting a way to mount the Suydam wheels on the Stanton drives is going to prove the challenge.

Date: 06/14/21 20:25
Author: MMD

Could NWSL do the wheel/axle job for you, I appreciate it may be costly but I think it may be your best choice.   Is it possible that you could make a " bush" to put in the Suydam wheel hub, or are the NWSL drive axles bigger than the original axles.
Malcolm
New Zealand

Date: 06/17/21 10:16

NWSL now mentions 45" wheels on Stanton drives but no order number to place an order number to use. I have left them a message about them building 2 powered and 2 dummy drives for the boxcabs.

I think I will continue looking for BA&P boxcabs to see if I might build up a shelf stock to pass along to friends and fellow Montana modelers.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0585 seconds