Home Open Account Help 295 users online

Model Railroading > A Snag in Time!

Date: 06/08/21 01:39
A Snag in Time!
Author: funnelfan

Here is a tale of caution for you. I once mounted a metal details west plow a bit too low on a SD70M. I thought what the heck, I'll just run it that way. So it went around virtually all the club layout with no issues. A little later on time was growing short on when I needed to leave for work, so I started running fast to get to where I could take the train off the layout. Well that plow found two parallel gaps in the rail and immediately brought the locomotives to a stop. Since the train was in a curve in a hidden part of the layout, the sudden stop caused all the cars to lay to the outside of the curve in a very hard to reach area. And this was 35 car freight train too. I spent the next hour contorting myself to fish out those cars. Not a whole lot of damage, but I just barely made it to work on time (I had called my boss to let him know I might be a tad bit late). Make sure your plow has 0.040" of clearance.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 06/08/21 07:04
Re: A Snag in Time!
Author: ChrisCampi

Always seems to happen like that. The plow didn't short when it caught?

Date: 06/08/21 08:01
Author: 1019X

Happens in the real world also. Many years ago when I was with the Southern in New Orleans an inbound train came in with some of the brand new B30-7A locomotives. No problem inbound but when they headed back north they crossed Florida Avenue on a different track. The crossing was adjacent to the entrance to the intermodal yard and thus you had a lot of heavy truck traffic that was braking for the turn into the entrance. This had mounded the asphalt up a little bit above the top of the rails. That was when we found that the plow on the GE was about an inch too low in the center. Flipped up a good chunk of asphalt. A little quick work with the "universal blue flame wrench" and the plow clearance was corrected.

Date: 06/08/21 11:52
Author: PHall

A few people I know put a piece of .005" styrene on the bottom of their metal Details West plows.
Prevents shorts and saves that expensive DCC equipment.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0383 seconds