Home Open Account Help 271 users online

Model Railroading > DT&I 86 Footer

Date: 06/08/21 15:34
DT&I 86 Footer
Author: Jimmies

Yesterday (Monday) I posted photos of my 8 door NW boxcar, and another 86 footer was visible in a picture as well. That prompted a couple of much appreciated complimentary replies from Andy and Tom, so although I believe I've posted that one before, I thought I'd post it up here now as well.  Something to look at, at the least. This is another Athearn model, which has received similar upgrades to my black NW boxcar from Monday, but I've weathered this one.  I'll weather the NW car sometime in future.

As an aside, I run my 86 footers with the 8 door cars blocked together, and then the 4 door cars are blocked together separately. The layout's not really very big, so the auto parts train can only be about 8 cars long at any one time.

Jim
https://jssxrailway.blogspot.com

Date: 06/08/21 16:07
Re: DT&I 86 Footer
Author: ghemr

It's a work of art!

Date: 06/08/21 17:17
Author: Txtrainman60

VERY nice weathering!!!! 

Date: 06/08/21 17:40
Author: up833

Looks like you could get dirty playing with trains! Shower before dinner..
RB

Date: 06/08/21 18:12
Author: Betsy

The sparkling clean Norfolk Western car had me a little spooked, good to see things back in order!

Elizabeth

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/08/21 20:38 by Betsy.

Date: 06/08/21 19:43
Author: tomstp

Thanks for giving us a good look at the weathering on the DT&I.   Top notch !  I'd swear I have seen one just like it on the UP.

Date: 06/08/21 20:43
Author: atsf121

Very cool

Posted from iPhone

Date: 06/09/21 05:23
Author: WM1977

How do you do that rust, looks fantastic. Having worked in the industry for over 30 years this car captures the look of heavily used and weathered freight cars.
CR

Date: 06/09/21 06:58
Author: toledopatch

Jimmies Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As an aside, I run my 86 footers with the 8 door
> cars blocked together, and then the 4 door cars
> are blocked together separately.

Which is prototypically accurate, as 8-door cars were/are, to my knowledge, used only by GM, while Ford and Chrysler ran/run only 4-door cars -- so it would be rare to see them jumbled rather than grouped.

Date: 06/09/21 08:37
Author: Chessie

Toledopatch wrote: "Which is prototypically accurate, as 8-door cars were/are, to my knowledge, used only by GM, while Ford and Chrysler ran/run only 4-door cars -- so it would be rare to see them jumbled rather than grouped." 

An accurate statement for the earlier years but by the mid 1980's this was starting to change. 

Date: 06/09/21 09:45
Author: toledopatch

Chessie Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Toledopatch wrote: "Which is prototypically
> accurate, as 8-door cars were/are, to my
> knowledge, used only by GM, while Ford and
> Chrysler ran/run only 4-door cars -- so it would
> be rare to see them jumbled rather than
> grouped." 
>
> An accurate statement for the earlier years but by
> the mid 1980's this was starting to change. 

In what corridors? Even after I moved to northwest Ohio in 1993 and started seeing these cars frequently, I don't remember seeing them mixed.

Date: 06/09/21 10:18
Author: ChrisCampi

Good as it gets.

Date: 06/09/21 13:47
Author: Chessie

Toledopatch - I have video on Chessie/CSX from the mid 80's on with trains carrying both varieties.  There were no non-GM facilities on the eastern parts of the B&O so GM at that point was getting double door cars as well as quad doors. 

Edit: This is not to say the double door cars were in abundance but they were definitely there. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/21 14:02 by Chessie.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0387 seconds