Home Open Account Help 311 users online

Model Railroading > Chicago Area Model Railroad Shops

Date: 06/12/21 11:23
Chicago Area Model Railroad Shops
Author: jg4um

I will be in Chicago from July 1st through July 4th and I would like to visit a couple of Chicago area shops.  I know of Lombard Hobbies and Des Plaines Hobbies, but what are some of your opinions about Zientek's, Grayland Station and Chicagoland Hobbies?  Are there shops I should check out that I didn't list?  I model in HO scale.  Thanks in advance for any suggestions.  I am a longtime TO member, but I seldom post.

Thanks,

JG

Date: 06/12/21 11:29
Re: Chicago Area Model Railroad Shops
Author: sixaxlecentury

Lombard - Good prices, but mostly old stock.  Anything new that comes in typically right out damn near overnight.  NO supplies or parts.  
Des Plains - Great selection of everything, all MSRP.   
Zientek - Meh, mostly OLD, OLD stock.  Some newer stuff, mostly from Walthers.  No real deals.  The place is an experience though.  Remember to go upstairs.   Pain in the ass to park.  
Grayland Station - Very cramped,  decent assortment but MSRP.  Lots of Plane "stuff".  
Chicagoland - Not terrible.  Good classic hobby shop with a bit of everything.  Lots of O scale.  They have a decent pre-owned department.  Good supplies, no parts.  

I usually hit Chicagoland, Des Plains and Lombard.  

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/21 13:25 by sixaxlecentury.

Date: 06/12/21 14:51
Author: ghemr

All that are mentioned are great. There's aslo Walt's Hobby in Crest Hill who has a multitude of various brands of paint, washes, etc. in addition to HO Scale equipment.

Date: 06/12/21 14:53
Author: RRBMail

Grayland Station also specializes in railroadiana, dining car stuff, brochures, etc. Very nice owner! Steve and his brother are long-time respected Chicago railfans. Yes, there now some airline stuff too. I look because who knows I might find a TT from Santa Fe Skyways...AT&SF's two plane airline that lasted maybe two years. It's right next to a commuter line. Isn't that the best? You know taking the train to the train shop like I used to do on the Wrong Island Rail Road and later on the SP's commutes. Lombard's good BECAUSE there's lots of older stuff, stuff you missed that might go for a ridicules price in the web.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/21 14:57 by RRBaron.

Date: 06/12/21 16:31
Author: original

Go to Zientek's - Have a beer, downstairs -trains upstairs !
lots of old stock at old prices

Date: 06/12/21 16:43
Author: ghemr

original Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Go to Zientek's - Have a beer, downstairs -trains
> upstairs !
> lots of old stock at old prices

He hasn't served alcoholic beverages in his establishment (tavern/hobby shop) for about 15 years now. Indeed, that's what I've done many times in the past however....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/12/21 16:44 by ghemr.

Date: 06/12/21 17:39
Author: chitownjeff

GrayLand Station is a discounter, always has been

Date: 06/13/21 13:30
Author: jg4um

Thank you to everyone who replied and gave advice.  You all helped me formulate a plan for when I am in Chicago.

Thanks,

JG

Date: 06/13/21 15:11
Author: Typhoon

ghemr Wrote:
> original Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Go to Zientek's - Have a beer, downstairs
> -trains
> > upstairs !
> > lots of old stock at old prices
>
> He hasn't served alcoholic beverages in his
> establishment (tavern/hobby shop) for about 15
> years now. Indeed, that's what I've done many
> times in the past however....

That is too bad.   His upstairs is a treasure trove of models.

Date: 06/13/21 19:27
Author: sixaxlecentury

Maybe it was years ago, but I just found it to be more or less on par with a picked over junk table at a train show.   Some older stock, but nothing like the stories I heard over the years.  

Date: 06/13/21 20:08
Author: kbmiflyer

The descriptions above are all very good and accurate

I have also shopped at American Best Train Toy and Hobby shop in Itasca (near Schamburg, west of O'hare.  Not terribly far from Lombard Hobbies).  They have all gauges but seems to specialize in O.  The store is very large and not all the well organized, but the selection is huge.  Also a good shop for hobbies other than trains.

https://www.americasbesttrain.com/

Date: 06/13/21 20:34
Author: arrowspatial

http://berwynstoytrains.dmrvirtual.com    Berwyn Trains has been around forever--- the 30 years at least I have been in neighborhood,
and walking distance to BNSF/Metra Harlem and Berwyn Stations.......

Date: 06/17/21 09:05
Author: kevink

sixaxlecentury Wrote:
> Des Plains - Great selection of everything, all
> MSRP.   

For what it's worth, Des Plaines has sales a least a couple of times a year. In fact, this weekend (6/18-6/20/21) they are having a 38th anniversary sale with 20% off on most items.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0749 seconds