Home Open Account Help 256 users online

Model Railroading > Early Double Stacks

Date: 07/16/21 21:17
Early Double Stacks
Author: railstiesballast

The SP began the double stack era on US railroads.  The first sets were built with frame extensions to carry the top containers because there was, shall we say, a lack of trust in the Interbox Connectors.
Before long the industry gained enough experience with IBCs and double stack operations so cars have long been built with just a "well" for the bottom container.
I thought it would be right for my HO intermodal trains to have one set of these "Twin Stack" cars from Intermountain.
I took the opportunity to add Plano products metal corner post/grabiron details, air hoses, cut levers, and a couple of resistor wheelsets for signal detection.
They track flawlessly around my layout.
Here they trail a set of AC4400s from Athearn.

Date: 07/16/21 22:47
Re: Early Double Stacks
Author: PHall

The difference in tare weight between these units and the current generation well cars is nothing short of amazing.

Date: 07/16/21 22:58
Author: needles_sub

PHall Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> The difference in tare weight between these units
> and the current generation well cars is nothing
> short of amazing.

The car has two 20' containers and a 40' on top. The flipper's should be turned in to hold the top container. 

Date: 07/17/21 04:29
Author: electromac

=15.600000381469727pxNice........

Date: 07/17/21 04:42
Author: JETRR

Some are still in service today.

Date: 07/17/21 05:25
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Stack train ... fine .... but that limestone rock wall is a thing of beauty

Date: 07/17/21 06:47
Author: atsf121

Awesome photo! Have an old undecorated kit that I need to finish one of these years.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 07/17/21 07:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

Very nice and no graffiti!

Date: 07/17/21 08:21
Author: railstiesballast

Thanks for the comments.
1.  I worried for about three seconds about setting the "flippers" but as they are cast into the body in the open position I quickly passed on that!
2.  I made the cliff decades ago and gradually got to the point I did not think it was realistic and was considering tearing it out.  Then I took another trip on Amtrak's California Zepher and found the prototype just east of Glenwood Springs.  I must have retained it in my memory when I carved up the blue foam back in the 1990s, it just kind of came to me when I set upon the cliff with some knives and paint.  Glad you like it.

Date: 07/17/21 11:46
Author: SantaFeRuss

Me like!!!

SantaFeRuss

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0431 seconds