Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > 1960's SP passenger cars

Date: 07/17/21 17:05
1960's SP passenger cars
Author: ATSFSuperCap

This is in part an add to the discussion about Walthears Passenger Trains.    I have asked Broadway Limited several times to please just do the Daylight cars in silver with a red stripe and no skirts and standard diaphrams.   Of course I get NO response.   Why is this such a problem.   The cars would be largley correct with fluted sides in sliver/red.    Broadway does the CZ cars in every which paint scheme right or wrong so why not the Daylight cars.    

As for The Sunset Limited.     I am sure most know that Union Station Products does the Sunset cars.    It is easy to install their sides on a Walthers car that is a similar configuration.   If you do not want to do that it is possible to get quite close to the Sunset cars with existing Walthers cars.    The UP Pacific series 10-6 is very close to the Sunset 10-6, the biggest issue is to change the trucks to GSC from outside swing hangar.    From the Walthers Mainline series the "small window coach" is the exact Sunset car but with fluted letterboard, which is easily fixed with Evergreen styrene strip.   The Mainline RPO is the same, just add the Everygreen to the letterboard.   You can use either the Mainline or regular line Budd "diners" to stand in for the Pride of Texas or Atobahn diners, and use the Budd combine for the dormitory.    That is how my Sunset is set up right now.   I am planning to fix it with Union Station car sides, and then paint it all with Allclad Polished Aluminum over Allclad high gloss black which gives a sheen and color tone very close to the Walthers metal like finish, just not quite as blue in color.

Date: 07/17/21 20:41
Re: 1960's SP passenger cars
Author: schroed2

ATSFSuperCap Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> This is in part an add to the discussion about
> Walthears Passenger Trains.    I have asked
> Broadway Limited several times to please just do
> the Daylight cars in silver with a red stripe and
> no skirts and standard diaphrams.   Of course I
> get NO response.   Why is this such a problem. 
>  The cars would be largley correct with fluted
> sides in sliver/red.    Broadway does the CZ
> cars in every which paint scheme right or wrong so
> why not the Daylight cars.    
>
since some of the BLI daylight cars are still available from the usual sources like MB Klein (while most of the CZ cars are sold out long ago), my guess is that the daylight cars simply did not sell good enough (MTH doing the same/similar cars did not help either, I guess)

OTOH, Union Station Products has the sides for the daylight cars, too...

Date: 07/17/21 21:18
Re: 1960's SP passenger cars
Author: UP951West

Hope you'll share photos on T. O. when you finish the Sunset Cars. . 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0676 seconds