Home Open Account Help 310 users online

Model Railroading > My First & Last Model Railroad 2.0 Insulation Board?

Date: 07/21/21 15:22
My First & Last Model Railroad 2.0 Insulation Board?
Author: RRBMail

Hi Guys! The title says it all. Layout table is built! Now comes the Insulation Board. According to Owens only two dealers within 150 miles of me have any in stock! (Not counting Home Depot which only sells 2' X 2" "project-size" pieces at sky high prices.) The Owens recommended dealers will call back to confirm thicknesses, delivery options and prices. A TO suggested I try the "blue" foam core insulation made by someone else, instead. All the Model Railroader project RRs use pink. So is the blue foam core just as good as the pink stuff? If so who makes it? Owens said that they can't fill their own wholesale orders now because COVID has impacted the raw materials supply chain--wouldn't you know it! Finally, should I cement the boards together with a liquid adhesive by rolling it on evenly, or will an "injection tube" glue work just as well if applied here and there? (I don't want the foam core lifting up here or there in the year(s) to come-eh?) What's the best brand of glue for my model railroad application? Owens didn't know. Thanks in advance! 

Date: 07/21/21 16:49
Re: My First & Last Model Railroad 2.0 Insulation Board?
Author: Lighter

The blue is made by Dow. It is trademarked "Styrofoam."  It works just the same.

Date: 07/21/21 16:50
Author: march_hare

I’ve used both pink and blue for dioramas for 20 years now and have seen no difference. 

One item to to share is that the 2 inch boards are less likely to warp than the thinner ones when they stand alone. But if you’re gluing them to a flat surface you can ignore that. 

Date: 07/21/21 17:06
Author: up833

You can spot glue the foam with tubes and a caulking gun. Get the stuff that is compatable to use on tub surrounds and retro shower kits. If you use solvent base glue it will dissolve the foam,
RB

Date: 07/21/21 19:32
Author: trackplanner

I used this specially made for foam glue at Home Depot and other hardware outlets. Spread it on fairly thick with a putty knife. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/21/21 21:18 by trackplanner.

Date: 07/22/21 17:00
Author: march_hare

LOW temperature hot glue guns work very well, also. 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.033 seconds