Home Open Account Help 391 users online

Model Railroading > Real Glass for locomotive cab windows

Date: 07/22/21 10:04
Real Glass for locomotive cab windows
Author: KM-ML4000

Back in the 80s, I knew a modeller who was using microscope slide covers as window glazing in his locomotives. Is there anyone else out there using this method, and if so, how to you cut the glass slide covers to size?

Date: 07/22/21 10:59
Re: Real Glass for locomotive cab windows
Author: original

carefully ! - sorry Bob could't resist !

Date: 07/22/21 11:17
Author: Jeff_Johnston

A scribing tool, looks like a pen with a hardened steel tip, works to scratch a line to allow clean breaks on the glass, just as a conventional glass scribing tool works on a full-size window glass.

That said, I use clear styrene, tried the glass a while back but not worth the effort and sharp-edge danger for me.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 07/22/21 11:26
Author: fbe

Use a fine pointed metal scriber. Put a coating of fine oil on the glass then drag the scriber across the glass. Snap the glass on the line and it will break. Start with a couple extra pieces when you get started.

Date: 07/22/21 11:52
Author: wabash2800

I tried slide glass for windows on a resin depot I built. Unfortunately, whatever method I used, including scribing, I got too much fallout. I ended up using clear styrene with the Johnson Wax stuff wicked on it and the styrene looks like real glass. Just lay the styrene on end on a piece of paper towel and apply the wax. It will coat the clear styrene and the excess will wick onto the paper towel. When dry, apply windows with clear canopy glue. I found it easy to cut my strips of uniform window width with a Northwest Shortline Duplicater and then cut them to the correct height, also with the Duplicator. With loco windows you have curves, corners, etc. You are on your own. Maybe Betsy here can give you some pointers.

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/22/21 11:53 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/22/21 15:02
Author: tehachapifan

What would be the benefit of using real glass in this application? Wouldn't the thickness be an issue...or are those slides extremely thin?

Date: 07/22/21 15:20
Author: Lighter

tehachapifan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What would be the benefit of using real glass in
> this application? Wouldn't the thickness be an
> issue...or are those slides extremely thin?

Extremely thin. Extremely clear. Extremely flat. And the reflections look like glass.

Date: 07/22/21 16:25
Author: video7105

Spraying the clear plastic with Future Floor wax would give you the clear look too

Dave

Date: 07/22/21 16:59
Author: march_hare

Absolutely essential to clean the slip covers before trying to superglue them in place. 91 percent IPA from the local drugstore is my favorite. Even a hint of finger oil will lead to bond failure. 

As for cutting the glass, the best tool is a diamond tip cutter if you can find one. Basically a score and snap operation, familiar to anybody who works in styrene. 

Date: 07/22/21 19:53

That was the product I was referring to. It really makes it look like glass.

Victor

video7105 Wrote:
> Spraying the clear plastic with Future Floor wax
> would give you the clear look too
>
> Dave

Date: 07/23/21 05:13
Author: PHall

Real glass is good for 1:48 and O scale and larger models but simply not worth the effort on anything smaller.

Date: 07/23/21 05:28
Author: mpe383

video7105 Wrote:
> Spraying the clear plastic with Future Floor wax
> would give you the clear look too
>
> Dave

Unfortunately, SC Johnson stopped making the Future Floor product in 2008.  Does anyone have any suggestions of a current product that is available and will provide similar results?

Date: 07/23/21 07:47
Author: Lighter

> Unfortunately, SC Johnson stopped making the
> Future Floor product in 2008.  Does anyone have
> any suggestions of a current product that is
> available and will provide similar results?

They renamed it Pledge Floor Gloss. Same stuff.

I should mention - although the correction never goes anywhere - this was never ever WAX. It was always thin, glossy, acrylic paint.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/23/21 07:49 by Lighter.

Date: 07/23/21 19:58

Thanks for the info Lighter.

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/21 19:34 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/25/21 16:41
Author: NSDTK

Gorilla Glass screen protectors for phones would work if you can cut it with out shattering it

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0649 seconds