Home Open Account Help 334 users online

Model Railroading > DCC versus DC running speed

Date: 10/09/21 09:12
DCC versus DC running speed
Author: superfleet

I wondered, I still plan to model someday in standard DC, (too many older engines that are DC and I don't have the will, skills, or finances to convert them all to DCC) and I wanted to know, if you have for example two similar HO or N models from the same manufacturer, will the DC and the DCC unit run together ok?  I have bought a few DCC locos lately from Athearn but have a lot of other Athearn diesels that are only DC and I wanted to know if I can operate them together in a lash-up on standard DC.  I figured if I could get DCC-equipped diesels for a decent price I would go ahead and buy them for the limited sound functions that are said to be available in standard DC mode but if they won't play well together than I may have to re-think my strategy.

Thoughts?  Similar question for Atlas, Kato, etc. to operate DC and DCC engines together on a DC layout....

Thanks,

Dan

Date: 10/09/21 09:53
Re: DCC versus DC running speed
Author: railstiesballast

In my experience a DCC locomotive set up to run on DC requires 7-8 volts to "wake up" the decoder.
This means that at 9 volts track power your DC locomotive is running along at a fairly high speed and the DCC one is just creeping.
So DC locos can consist with each other and DCC with each other but they don't mix.

Date: 10/09/21 11:54

Thanks, that what I needed to know.  So I will need to run my DC locos on DC by themselves, and my DCC locos on DC by themselves....  Now I just need to decide whether to continue to buy DC locos at my age (63) or DCC locos where it is economically favorable and plan to run them by themselves.

Dan

Date: 10/09/21 14:01

One other thought in my decision-making process, long-term are the DCC-equipped locos a better investment?  Seems like the labor costs to convert DC engines (adding the decoder, finding some way to install a speaker, etc) are higher compared to the cost of factory-installed DCC and sound.  Where I'm at I tend to buy a DCC and sound-equipped loco when the cost differential between DC and DCC is unusually low.  I guess the plan would be to run my DC locos by themselves and my DCC-equipped locos on DC separately.  I wonder what the demand difference is nowadays, DCC versus DC, what sells more?

Thanks for the discussion,

Dan

Date: 10/09/21 20:08
Author: SP4360

I'm in the process of making my layout a hybrid system. I currently run 2 PWM throttles, 1 for the main and 1 for the yard. The main track throttle can also run the yard so one person can run the entire layout. I am now installing a DCC system I bought from boilingman a couple of years ago. It will be capable of running all, the yard only, the main only and the DC running the portion not being run by the DCC. This makes it posible to have multiple players working the yard or main or both. Confusing eh?

Date: 10/09/21 21:32
Author: ChrisCampi

Also consider DCC doesn't have to be sound equipped. You can add non sound DCC decoders for about $25.00 and still have all the DCC operating advantages. These would be a great way to learn to install a decoder and would give you an option to add a sound unit when funds are available.

Date: 10/10/21 06:02
Author: aehouse

I decided against DCC for my principal layout for the reasons you specified: too expensive to convert all the locomotives, and too much of a hassle technologically. Instead, I built a second, much smaller switching layout with a basic DCC system and use (and need) just three single unit locomotives for it. Still, it was an expensive and fussy project.  So you might want to consider, as I did, just dipping a toe in DCC with a small layout, and keep your main effort with the old tried and true DC.

Art House

Date: 10/10/21 06:54
Author: BAB

Converting a DC layout to DCC is easy if you know someonw who will help. Some people going to DCC get a little over the top on some items like power drops every so far along the way.  I did when building my layout which is still very much under construction solder all rail joints but have operated the lower level with one feeder only and no power drops to a main wire running the entire length. Its ON30 with all Mountain Models K and C series engines and have had up to four running at one time lenght of the main is about 150ft of main line.  Just mine and have since added power drops still runs the same.  I did make some errors but all is now working fine one item I added so I could use plug in throttles rather than wireless throttles was the buss to the plug ins along the route. That took some time but other than that right now its all operated by one 5 amp NCE power supply. Just a thought dont over think it like some do.

Date: 10/10/21 12:51
Author: 3rdswitch

Funny, I have run both DCC and DC units together without a problem?
JB

Date: 10/10/21 13:43
Author: RogersPass

Hi JB, Can you tell me what make of Locos you ran in both Dc and Dcc together please??
Second Question What dc power packs are you also using.
Cheers Brian in New Zealand..

Date: 10/14/21 09:41
Author: navarch3

superfleet Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks, that what I needed to know.  So I will
> need to run my DC locos on DC by themselves, and
> my DCC locos on DC by themselves....  Now I just
> need to decide whether to continue to buy DC locos
> at my age (63) or DCC locos where it is
> economically favorable and plan to run them by
> themselves.
>
> Dan

I am in tghe middle of a progam to add sound and LED lighting and ditch lights to a number of locomoties,, The big ticket items are the sound decoders (I'm scrapping most of my Soundtrax ones and replacing all with LokSound...) .ThewLEd lighting just looks so much better than light bulbs  - to me at least....I know others disagree...

Bob

Date: 10/14/21 15:20
Author: PHall

navarch3 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> superfleet Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Thanks, that what I needed to know.  So I will
> > need to run my DC locos on DC by themselves,
> and
> > my DCC locos on DC by themselves....  Now I
> just
> > need to decide whether to continue to buy DC
> locos
> > at my age (63) or DCC locos where it is
> > economically favorable and plan to run them by
> > themselves.
> >
> > Dan
>
> I am in tghe middle of a progam to add sound and
> LED lighting and ditch lights to a number of
> locomoties,, The big ticket items are the sound
> decoders (I'm scrapping most of my Soundtrax ones
> and replacing all with LokSound...) .ThewLEd
> lighting just looks so much better than light
> bulbs  - to me at least....I know others
> disagree...
>
> Bob

The LED lights last much longer too. As in may never have to replace them unles you want to.

Date: 10/14/21 20:40
Author: TomG

Why would you dump soundraxx decoders just for LEDs? Just replace the light bulbs with LEDs.  Thats like buying a new car cause you switched to premium gas. Well unless they are not Tsunami's.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0583 seconds