Home Open Account Help 227 users online

Model Railroading > Rare F9 Tornado Levels Newburg, MO

Date: 10/19/21 07:19
Rare F9 Tornado Levels Newburg, MO
Author: Frisco1522

A disastrous F9 tornado struck Newburg,MO.  All of the buildings in town are gone and can't be found and the roundhouse has been moved back 300'.

I am in the process of dismantling the layout.  My eyes were bigger than my common sense and I built far too big and didn't have a practical track plan.  I recreated Newburg 1943 as the center point but didn't design the rest of the layout to do anything more than run trains continuosly.  Coupled with the fact that I enjoy building brass Frisco steam and neglecting or even finishing the RR, I'm older than dirt and lost my wife of 59 years six months ago tells me its time to downsize.
I have sold the roundhouse and certain scratchbuilt buildings, my larger steam engines and will build back smaller with a much better design for operation.  I've already built a smaller roundhouse, turntable and coal chute and I'll try to use as much of the existing yard as is practical only smaller.  Also will eliminate the duckunder.  I was 15 years younger when I built it and could duck under a lot easier.

Date: 10/19/21 08:03
Re: Rare F9 Tornado Levels Newburg, MO
Author: OmahaTom

I'm very sorry for your loss. I can only imagine how terrible that must be to get used to. God Bless. you're in my prayers. (Don't ever stop modeling, though! When the time comes to start a new chapter, be ready to hop on and ride it all the way home!)

Tom Loftus
Omaha, NE

Date: 10/19/21 08:43

Thank you Tom.  It is an awful adjustment to get used to.  Good days and bad days.

Date: 10/19/21 12:27
Author: pilotblue

Hey Bud,

Think about going modular. They wouldn't have to be compatible to any but your own. If you need to relocate/downsize later, you could take a few choice modules with you, perhaps an interesting switching area. Once in your new digs, your new layout would be immediatly ready to operate.

Good luck in all regards, and post photos of whatever direction you take. Thanks for sharing!

Date: 10/19/21 14:33
Author: funnelfan

Duck unders are a terrible idea for almost any age. They get old real quick! Sorry about your loss, but I'm sure a smaller layout built for operations will be enjoyable.

Posted from Android

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 10/19/21 16:26
Author: TomG

Yes very sorry to hear about your loss. Maybe the new construction will help keep your mind occupied durring the not so good days. That was a great looking yard.

Date: 10/20/21 08:10

pilotblue Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Hey Bud,
>
> Think about going modular. They wouldn't have to
> be compatible to any but your own. If you need to
> relocate/downsize later, you could take a few
> choice modules with you, perhaps an interesting
> switching area. Once in your new digs, your new
> layout would be immediatly ready to operate.
>
> Good luck in all regards, and post photos of
> whatever direction you take. Thanks for sharing!
I'm not moving, just going to probably keep the folded dogbone section and move a smaller yard and engine terminal back against the wall and have a walk in.  Be more creative in the dogbones with a couple of small towns and some switching.
My next move will be to the marble orchard and my new digs will be just large enough for me and my box.
Don

Date: 10/20/21 19:50
Author: johnsweetser

Pretty realistic-looking scenery on the right.

Date: 10/20/21 19:52
Author: ChrisCampi

I'm also very sorry to hear about your loss. It will be interesting to see what you end up with to display all that beautiful brass you grace us with here. By the way, I love that yard!

Date: 10/22/21 13:08
Author: inyosub

You have some beautiful track work there. A nice big yard, and good long switch lead could be a fun
continuation of the hobby.  I have a near dormant layout right now too; so I feel ya man. And I planed 
for no duckunders! A bad back keeps me off my feet. !. But save that yard as a starter "battleship" for some
round the walls construction. Nothing like working with the hands. God Bless.
Cheers JC

Date: 10/22/21 19:50
Author: tomstp

Gosh I hate to hear of any layout being dismanteled but, glad to know you will still have one.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0407 seconds