Home Open Account Help 349 users online

Model Railroading > Low-cost surveillance cameras for model RR?

Date: 11/28/21 07:31
Low-cost surveillance cameras for model RR?
Author: JUTower

Hi all -
My HO model railroad is a triple-shelf L-shaped layout with a helix on each end of the L, and the clearances between levels only about a foot.  For the primary viewing/operations area this won't be a problem as the shelf depths are fairly narrow.  However, approaching the helices things will get tight, and I have interlocking signals down there.  So I have been thinking of placing a few small cameras (webcam/surveillance cam) and having those images display on the big TV in that room.  Due to the desire to display multiple cameras on the TV (via HDMI) in one view, I'm assuming I would need a system that has a NVR/DVR device tying the cameras together.  I do NOT want an "app" because we will already have our hands full using our devices for WiThrottle.

Any thoughts/recommendations on a system that would fit the bill?
Thanks,
-Alex

Date: 11/28/21 08:29
Re: Low-cost surveillance cameras for model RR?
Author: M-420

For a little over $200, you can get a 4 camera wireless system from Hiseeu (Available on Amazon).

Easy to set up, comes with everything you need and their customer service and support is first rate.
As for monitoring, connect to a monitor, or for another $60 or so, you can buy the system with a built in 11" monitor.

Playback is available through the system, or on your phone/PC through (you guessed it) an app..
Brian E

PS - the system is wireless, but each of the four cameras needs 110V

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/28/21 08:30 by M-420.

Date: 11/28/21 10:04
Author: railstiesballast

Almost universally the digital images and screens I see do a poor job of color rendition of red, yellow, and green LED light, I think the signals are overexposed when the light balance for the image frame as a whole is correct.
So your ability to detect the signal aspects may depend on whether you have 3-light heads so you can tell what the color is by where it is on the signal background, but may be hard to detect if you have "searchlight" single light signals.
But of course you will be able to see where the trains are and be able to stop them at their limit of intended movement (as at the end of a staging track).
Our club uses a set of about 16 cameras, several infrared, to allow dispatchers and staging yard operators to see trains in far corners of concealed track; it is a great help.

Date: 11/28/21 14:23
Author: MojaveBill

WYZE cameras are inexpensive and sharp. I hsve several for security.

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 11/28/21 15:07
Author: SPDRGWfan

My wife and I have bought some Blink camera's.  They make exterior and interior cams.

Date: 11/30/21 06:22
Author: atsf121

MojaveBill Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> WYZE cameras are inexpensive and sharp. I hsve
> several for security.

We’ve used those as well, the night vision mode has been nice. Have thought about them for the layout but don’t have a serious need for them yet.

Nathan

Posted from iPhone

Date: 11/30/21 16:12
Author: JUTower

Thanks all. Much appreciated.  The WYZE cameras look like a good option provided I change them to RTSP protocol and find a 3rd party viewer (like Blue Iris).  May be a good approach.

To railstiesballast - what system is your club using? Do they like it?

railstiesballast Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Almost universally the digital images and screens
> I see do a poor job of color rendition of red,
> yellow, and green LED light, I think the signals
> are overexposed when the light balance for the
> image frame as a whole is correct.
> So your ability to detect the signal aspects may
> depend on whether you have 3-light heads so you
> can tell what the color is by where it is on the
> signal background, but may be hard to detect if
> you have "searchlight" single light signals.
> But of course you will be able to see where the
> trains are and be able to stop them at their limit
> of intended movement (as at the end of a staging
> track).
> Our club uses a set of about 16 cameras, several
> infrared, to allow dispatchers and staging yard
> operators to see trains in far corners of
> concealed track; it is a great help.
>  

Date: 12/02/21 08:28
Author: wabash2800

I need a low cost surveillance camera on my model railroad that will help me find the  "Gremlins"... <G>

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/21 08:29 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0403 seconds