Home Open Account Help 385 users online

Model Railroading > Walthers curved turnouts delivered

Date: 12/02/21 09:31
Walthers curved turnouts delivered
Author: DocJohn

Three 24-28 (2 RH, 1 LH) curved turnouts arrrived this morning.  I ordered them last February.  These will replace older, non-DCC friendly turnouts that I obtained on e-Bay a few months ago.  These will be used to replace 20-24 curved turnouts.

John

Date: 12/02/21 09:58
Re: Walthers curved turnouts delivered
Author: SPDRGWfan

The new Walthers curved turnouts should be better than the old ones.  Hopefully they will have better guaging than the old ones which have been reported to be out of guage.

So far, the only Walthers curved turnouts I have needed are the #8, which havne't been announced as far as I know.  The lower number curved turnouts could be handy in industrial area's.

Date: 12/02/21 10:19
Author: wabash2800

If you feel brave, try splicing the turnouts close together in an industrial setting with the points of one turnout very close to the frog of another.

Victor

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 12/02/21 11:39 by wabash2800.

Date: 12/02/21 11:01
Author: sixaxlecentury

I did a test on my table with the Walthers new track, putting together a yard lead, and Tangent using 86' boxcars.  They went through everything but the #4s. Very happy with the new Walthers track line.

Date: 12/03/21 09:25
Author: DocJohn

One of the main reasons for using curved turnouts in to put more track in the same physical area.  The layout I am building now is 8' by 12'.  The legs are on sliders as the room is only slightly larger (9.5' x 13.3').  The minimum curve radius is 24".  Thus, one can put in an oval that is 58" wide and has a passing track at each end that is sufficient for a locomotive and two passenger cars.

John

Date: 12/03/21 10:10

Doc,

I do the same thing to fit more capacity in.  In these photo's (2 top two) I used a Walthers #8 curved.at each of the yard and in the bottom, staging, two #8 Shinohara curved.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 12/03/21 10:14

Here on the present layout I have two Shinohara #8 curved to increase capacity, as well as a Peco #7 curved.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 12/03/21 18:19
Author: TomG

Jim, in the second to last photo, what are your track centers and the width of the shelf in the area of the rerailer?

Date: 12/03/21 19:36

Hi, the shelf is 18" wide and the track centers are 2 1/16 inch.

Posted from Android

Date: 12/04/21 06:04
Author: JUTower

I received mine as well - I haven't unpackaged them yet but they look quite good on first blush.
Best,
-Alex

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0538 seconds