Home Open Account Help 283 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido X31A PRR Boxcar Question...

Date: 12/03/21 14:39
Rapido X31A PRR Boxcar Question...
Author: OnTheSiding

Which one of these Rapido Pennsy X31A Boxacrs would have the latest paint scheme or latest shop date?  I am guessing it would be the plain keystone one with the "PRR" reporting mark over the number (as opposed to "Pennsylvania" over the number).  The Rapdio website indicates that the early shadow keystone cars were operated between 1954 and 1967.  That time frame would be okay for my purposes, but I just thought I would ask here, especially since the plain keystone "PRR" reporting mark car looks more modern to my eye.  I also like the look of the double door car, particularly in a 40-footer...

Date: 12/03/21 18:44
Re: Rapido X31A PRR Boxcar Question...
Author: CPR_4000

You are correct, but I'd bet many of the older shadow keystone cars with PENNSYLVANIA spelled out survived right up to the PC merger.

Date: 12/03/21 19:43

Thanks...and I believe you are correct, too.  Do you happen to have any of these Rapido boxcars?

Date: 12/03/21 20:44

OnTheSiding Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks...and I believe you are correct, too.  Do you happen to have any of these Rapido boxcars?

No sir, a little rich for my blood but tempting!

Date: 12/03/21 21:51
Author: wabash2800

I bought a couple, one single door and one double door. But I got the scheme with the small keystone in a circle for my early 1950s era. I have some of the PRR hoppers on order too, plus an NYO&W and a Cambria & Indiana. They are beautiful cars, and when I consider the time building, painting and decaling highly detailed resin kits that are already $30 each, the price is worth it.

Victor

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/21 22:07 by wabash2800.

Date: 12/04/21 04:49

Thank you...both Victor and CPR...

Date: 12/04/21 09:07

wabash2800 Wrote:
> when I consider the time building, painting and decaling highly detailed resin kits that are already $30 each, the price is worth it.

That's a good point, especially if you have a layout that demands much of your time. OTOH I have no layout, so building and painting is "the hobby" for me. That said, I recently bought a Tangent NYC caboose kit and the necessary decals, but I'm thinking I should have just bought the RTR car because I'm not sure I can attain that build (and paint) quality myself.

Date: 12/04/21 13:11
Author: PHall

CPR_4000 Wrote:
> wabash2800 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > when I consider the time building, painting and
> decaling highly detailed resin kits that are
> already $30 each, the price is worth it.
>
> That's a good point, especially if you have a
> layout that demands much of your time. OTOH I have
> no layout, so building and painting is "the hobby"
> for me. That said, I recently bought a Tangent NYC
> caboose kit and the necessary decals, but I'm
> thinking I should have just bought the RTR car
> because I'm not sure I can attain that build (and
> paint) quality myself.

A chance for you to improve your skills then. It's not a "problem", it's a learning opportunity!

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0514 seconds