Home Open Account Help 216 users online

Model Railroading > 30TH year for the bank display

Date: 12/03/21 16:59
30TH year for the bank display
Author: santafedan

This is my 30th year for having an HO train display at KeyBank in Martinsville IN.  This particular set of modules is about 15 years old. It all started with an 8 by 10 HO layout.  It has survived at least three bank names and cooperate OKs.  It is 20 by 10.
Everything has to be removed so it has to be bullet proof. It doesn't have much fine detail to be broken off. KIS it the word of the day.  However, the general public seems very happy to see the return year after year.
I try and have something new or different each year.  Over the past 8 years I've had a growing amusement park including the Comet Coaster.  This year that area has become a village.  The early rides began to fail.  They are not meant to run up to 6 hours a day for 4 weeks.

Date: 12/03/21 17:03
Re: 30TH year for the bank display

A few more.  The village replaced the amusement rides.  There is now a stop for the Polar Express.
I am the last of the original club member who helped me start the display.
I say display because it is not a model railroad.

Date: 12/03/21 17:21
Author: hotrail

Great work!
That is really neat that you and your club members have been able to keep up that tradition for so long.  I bet the bank patrons enjoy it a lot.
There is an HO modular club that usually sets up a display around Christmas time in one of the meeting rooms at our city hall.  Sadly they had to forego it last year due to covid and have not resumed it this year.  I miss it as dont have any regular clubs in the area that i know of.  So there are few opportunities for families to get exposure to the craft and tradition of model railroading.

Date: 12/03/21 19:54
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Is a club member there during the operating hours?  If not, what happens if train derails?

Date: 12/03/21 21:32
Author: atsf121

Fun to see that the tradition continues.  Nice looking layout.

Date: 12/04/21 05:42

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Is a club member there during the operating hours?
>  If not, what happens if train derails?

I am there most of the time.  However, there are times I or one of the members is not there.  The bank calls me and I come to the bank.  Less that 5 minutes away.

The staff knows how to turn it on and off if I can't be at the bank.  Believe it or not it very seldom derails....on it's own.   Since COVID the lobby traffic is down a lot.  The kids are there on Saturdays and during the Christmas break.  One of us is always there then.

I clean the track at least once a week and clean the loco wheels after each run.  They run at least 5 hours at a time.  I use alcohol on a paper towel and run the locos on that to clean them.  I use a piece of cloth and alcohol for the track.

I have posted before that the frog points get worn down after a few years of the month long runs.    I have to clean out the frogs at the begining of the season.  A lot of gunk gets in them.  It hardens during the 11 month downtime.  99% of our wheels are metal.  A few of out  "Classic" cars still use plastic.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0396 seconds