Home Open Account Help 249 users online

Model Railroading > Micro Engineering being sold

Date: 01/07/22 08:20
Micro Engineering being sold
Author: CaliforniaSteamin

Micro Engineering is attempting to find a buyer.  I see that WNTW/Ken Patterson advertising worked about as well as it did with Caboose Hobbies.
-CSN

Date: 01/07/22 09:11
Re: Micro Engineering being sold
Author: wabash2800

????

CaliforniaSteamin Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Micro Engineering is attempting to find a buyer. 
> I see that WNTW/Ken Patterson advertising worked
> about as well as it did with Caboose Hobbies.
> -CSN
>
>  

Date: 01/07/22 09:11
Author: SPDRGWfan

CaliforniaSteamin Wrote:
> Micro Engineering is attempting to find a buyer. 
> I see that WNTW/Ken Patterson advertising worked
> about as well as it did with Caboose Hobbies.
> -CSN

Well, for starteres, it wasn't Caboose Hobbies.  Caboose Hobbies closed in 2016 when they lost their lease. As far as the new store which was trying to ride on the coat tales of Caboose Hobbies, It was burdened with the expense of buying a caboose for the parking lot (as cool as that caboose was); Those many thousands of dollars could have been used instead for store stock.  Ken, as great as he is in his own role and job, couldn't save a shop that had a bad business plan.

As for the ME sail goes, it's been discussed here in other topics and I first became aware of it when the sale was posted at MRH Nov 6, a couple months ago.

https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/micro-engineering-up-for-sale-12219589?pid=1330944796

Date: 01/07/22 10:00
Author: BAB

Sorry to see it sold do hope there is a buyer found but in doing so does a better job of making switches.  ON30s are not straight, says something to do with mfg of them which is bs, also is not a smooth switch has an abrupt kink in it along with it should have been a six not a five. Points are very fragile and can easily break there holders.  Track is very nice and works well but using MMI engines I cannot get my K37 to take the curved route too long a wheel base have not tried my K36.  Just the troubles I have had with there product have 44+ switches and 100ft or more of there track.

Date: 01/07/22 11:03
Author: CaliforniaSteamin

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> CaliforniaSteamin Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Micro Engineering is attempting to find a
> buyer. 
> > I see that WNTW/Ken Patterson advertising
> worked
> > about as well as it did with Caboose Hobbies.
> > -CSN
>
> Well, for starteres, it wasn't Caboose Hobbies. 
> Caboose Hobbies closed in 2016 when they lost
> their lease. As far as the new store which was
> trying to ride on the coat tales of Caboose
> Hobbies, It was burdened with the expense of
> buying a caboose for the parking lot (as cool as
> that caboose was); Those many thousands of dollars
> could have been used instead for store stock. 
> Ken, as great as he is in his own role and job,
> couldn't save a shop that had a bad business
> plan.
>
> As for the ME sail goes, it's been discussed here
> in other topics and I first became aware of it
> when the sale was posted at MRH Nov 6, a couple
> months ago.
>
> https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/micro-engineering-up
> -for-sale-12219589?pid=1330944796
>  

Advertising with MRH/KP was one of many poor business moves.  If companies start paying to be on youtube channels with a few thousand followers, they will run themselves dry because there are so many youtube channels on train stuff I can't see straight.  Someone always coming along new day by day.  

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/07/22 11:04 by CaliforniaSteamin.

Date: 01/07/22 12:30
Author: wabash2800

If it were me, I'd buy the business for the flex track, bridges, etc. but not the turnouts unless I could improve them. Perhaps, a buyer will have the product made in China? Rapido started to make their own track but got out of it. Rapido, here's another chance...

Victor

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/10/22 15:24 by wabash2800.

Date: 01/08/22 06:43
Author: shadetree

Hopefully someone will pick it up.

Eng.Shadetree

Date: 01/08/22 09:04

wabash2800 Wrote:
> If it were me, I'd buy the business for the flex
> track, bridges, etc. but not the turnouts unless I
> could improve them. Perhaps, a buyer will have the
> product made in China? Rapido, started to make
> their own track but got out of it. Rapido, here's
> another chance...
>
> Victor

Yes on the turnouts my 45 that are installed just had another one die am replacing it with hand built ones I bought a few years back this it the third one so far.  

Date: 01/08/22 13:55

I've read enough negative comments here regarding the ME turnouts that I have never bought any.  But I haven't read about any flaws or problems with the ME flex and read that there are a lot of fans of the flextrack.

The only HO ME products I have are a new bridge track bundle and 3 bundles of 6 code 70 flex track a gentleman no longer needed after switching to N scale.  I do plan to use them but overall, I find the stiffness of the flextrack time consuming to form into nice even curves and get the ties all lined up properly.  YMMV.

But I realize there are a lot of fans of ME so hopefully they will get bought and continue.

Date: 01/08/22 15:05
Author: steeplecab

> I find the stiffness of the flextrack time consuming to form into nice even curves
> and get the ties all lined up properly.

For some of us that is one of the benefits of Micro Engineering flex track. Once it's shaped, it tends to not deform as easily as some other track. I agree it is a challenge to shape, and ME flex track requires a lot of patience, but I also think anything good is worth taking some extra time. I use the metal templates that fit between the rails to get even curves. It's also important to start from the ends and work a curve from the end into the stick. Watch the angles of the ties, and it may be necessary to work the ties for individual spacing. Keeping ties perpendicular to the track center line is important so as to not wind up with track with a tight gauge. In the end, once the track is bonded down with ballast it tends to stay true and not deform from operating pressure like other flex track will. I also do not recommend it for layouts subject to a lot of temperature changes.

Dano
Montana

Date: 01/08/22 16:08

steeplecab Wrote:
> For some of us that is one of the benefits of
> Micro Engineering flex track. Once it's shaped, it
> tends to not deform as easily as some other track.
> I agree it is a challenge to shape, and ME flex
> track requires a lot of patience, but I also think
> anything good is worth taking some extra time.

Since I use track nails to hold the track down, the very springy Atlas flex track is very easy to form to a nice smooth flowing curve and the tack it down about every 4.5 inches.  As for the nailheads, once the track is ballasted, the nails can be removed, much like push pins after calk.  A dab of putty and paint and evidence of the nails is history.  I prefer nailing cause the track is secured right away and if revisions need to be made, simply pull the nail out and redo.

As for anything good, I decided on the most recent layout, to use Peco code 83.  I believe once painted and weather, it would be hard to distinguish it from ME flex.  Peco rail profile is very good and the spike detail is about as fine as you can get.

As far as workability, Peco is inbetween Atlas and ME, a bit stiff but much easier to work. It almost holds its shape then formed.  I can see why you wouldn't recommend ME for rooms with temp/humidy cahnges.  It wouldn't tolerate the expansion/contraction was well.

I think the results of the Peco flex will speak for themselves - the Peco has been taking a little extra time over the Atlas I have used in the past and a bit of a learning curve.

Here are some photo's before I started adding the backdrop which will separate the layout in to scenes.  All curves have easements; the minimum radius 32 inches for two curves and the rest are larger.

Cheers, Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/08/22 16:17 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 01/09/22 16:24

I have had no trouble with ME track at all my room is between 55 and 90 try to lay all track at about 65-70. When its on the low side I raise the temp for at least four hours to soak everything to that temp. If its above 80 I go where there is AC and forget laying track. Just my fyi all ON3  but scale San Juan and other wood cars along with Berlin coaches.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0786 seconds