Home Open Account Help 251 users online

Model Railroading > What Happened to this Kato SD9043MAC

Date: 01/08/22 08:20
What Happened to this Kato SD9043MAC
Author: BrianJ

This model was purchased when Kato released them probably around 2000 or so and was used on an HO layout my Dad and I had until I went to college in 2006. Since then, it has sat in a wall display case along with its brother 8039. We started boxing up the collection over Christmas (I am still into model railroading, just in HOn3 and my dad has moved on to other things) and found that 8059 here to have damage to both of its ends.

My dad doesn't recall anyone removing it from the display case so we are confused what has happened to it. I would have guessed it was dropped on an end but since both ends have the same damage, it seems odd. The front end does have more of a bend than the back but the back most certainly is bent up as well. None of the hand rails of any other details on the unit are damaged and when I tried to 'nudge' the ends back to level it wouldn't budge. Has anyone seen this happen to Kato HO SD9043MAC models before? I am mainly wondering if this happens to be a known or common thing with this models or if this will forever be a mystery.

The other model, the 8039, is in perfect shape and hasn't suffered the same fate. 

Thanks,
Brian

Date: 01/08/22 08:55
Re: What Happened to this Kato SD9043MAC
Author: Super-C

There is a good possibility the foam material in the front of the box is pushed up against it an pushing the pilot area of  the locomotive back.
 You may want to trim back  the foam insert on both  ends to give more clearance for the locomotive to set into the holding cradle.
 I have seen this happen to several of my Atlas SD- 24  units. i trimmed out the ends for more clearance and it stopped the damage.
Hope this helped.  Chris

Date: 01/08/22 10:50
Author: funnelfan

There is a slight possibility that the frame is being affected by Zinc Pest that is causing it swell at the ends forcing the ends outward. Check the metal frame for signs of swelling and cracking.

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 01/08/22 11:42
Author: brfriedm

Ted, I think it possibly could be the transducer battery array leaking and generating gases that are pressing the body upwards. Bruce

funnelfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There is a slight possibility that the frame is
> being affected by Zinc Pest that is causing it
> swell at the ends forcing the ends outward. Check
> the metal frame for signs of swelling and
> cracking.
>  

Date: 01/08/22 11:48

This is what you should do. The unit was probably put into the box like that. The engine is sitting in a foam insert. The foaam insert comes out from the cardboard box. Remove the foam insert with the engine inside. Under the foam insert are some holes. They allow you to press from the bottom of the insert with your finger so you can gently press upwards to remove the engine. While pressing through the hole in the front, gently press the area back where the engine is pressing to the foam and push the engine outwards from the bottom very gently. If this has been like this a long time, the shell may be warped in the front. Once it is out, set it down and take another picture and post it. The shell snaps onto the frame. These Katos are very well designed and the shells fit on very nicely and are easy to remove also once you take the coupler pockets off. Good luck. Bruce

Date: 01/08/22 11:52
Author: NCA1022

I think FunnelFan is right on target by suggesting Zinc Pest.    I just did a google search on this and found a link to a thread on a site devoted to Mamod live steam models that goes into what causes this.  

search for"Zinc pest !! Why does it happen & what can be done ?"
Short answer:  Humidity that causes the crystalline structure of zinc alloys like Zamak (used in model trains and other toys) to deform.  Apparently a not uncommon occurrance for things like O gauge steam loco drivers.

I had an old Bachmann F-9 where this happened.  Stored in a basement for some years the frame deformed into a banana-shaped chunk of metal wiht botht eh front and rear of the frame bent down, while the shell was perfectly fine.  Not unlike what your picture shows, only more pronounced.  Unfortunately, it doesn't appear to be fix-able.

Hope this helps.

- Norm

Date: 01/08/22 12:52
Author: BrianJ

Thanks for the thoughts on this. 

The unit was actually stored in a display case outside of this box so the box is not what caused it. We were boxing everything back up to take to a train show to sell when I noticed this and didn't think of snapping a few photos until it was back in its box. 

The zinc pest theory is probably what it is. The train room is an insulated but not air conditioned room that used to be a garage in central Texas. It has been sheet rocked out and carpeted and everything just not on the house's AC system. While the room was always realatively comfortable I am sure the humidity in there does come up at times. 

It seems that I will have to sell it for parts at this point. Luckily the shell does look fine and I would assume the motor drive and the trucks are also in good shape. 

Thanks,
Brian

Date: 01/08/22 15:40

It is defintely the transducer battery array leaking that caused this. Good luck!  Bruce

BrianJ Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thanks for the thoughts on this. 
>
> The unit was actually stored in a display case
> outside of this box so the box is not what caused
> it. We were boxing everything back up to take to a
> train show to sell when I noticed this and didn't
> think of snapping a few photos until it was back
> in its box. 
>
> The zinc pest theory is probably what it is. The
> train room is an insulated but not air conditioned
> room that used to be a garage in central Texas. It
> has been sheet rocked out and carpeted and
> everything just not on the house's AC system.
> While the room was always realatively comfortable
> I am sure the humidity in there does come up at
> times. 
>
> It seems that I will have to sell it for parts at
> this point. Luckily the shell does look fine and I
> would assume the motor drive and the trucks are
> also in good shape. 
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

Date: 01/08/22 16:56
Author: tehachapifan

While I'm no expert, I question it being zinc pest. Zinc pest, as I understand it, occurs when the offending alloy has an undersired element in it. This was pretty common many decades ago but far less common these days as manufacturers are aware if it. While I did have one relatively recent N scale loco from another manufacturer that had it, I've never heard of it occuring with a Kato. One would would really have to see the frame to be able to say for certain. Without seeing the frame, I'm leaning more towards heat damage to the shell. The loco was in a display case? Was it near a window?

Date: 01/08/22 18:43
Author: MrMRL

There have been a couple runs of Walthers 89' flat cars released within the last 10-15 years that have been prone to destructive zinc-pest development. Had three different flats slowly warp to the point of failure and destruction.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 01/08/22 18:55
Author: Skuat

I give it another vote for the zinc pest, if you can pull the shell off that would confirm it for sure. On the Kato 90’s there’s a plastic frame edge that is molded with the I beam detail which hides the actual frame from view in the photos. That said it has all the tell tale signs of zinc pest with the expanded frame.

I’ve recently encountered it on some Atlas MP15DC’s that are about 5 years old, as well as a variety of Proto 2000 units, mainly GP30’s and a GP38-2. They all have the same look, bowed out pilots from an expanding and crumbling frame.

I will say this is the first time I’ve seen it with a Kato unit, but guess there’s a first time for everything. The good news is you should be able to save the shell and all the other components on the unit, check around for a replacement frame, would think think you might be able to come up with one for a semi reasonable price. If you do intend to sell it as is, at the very least take the shell off the frame to keep it from being damaged any worse. Once the zine pest starts it doesn’t stop and the frame will eventually crumble.

Good luck.

Scooter

Posted from iPhone

Date: 01/11/22 06:59
Author: TNO53

Is there a good known alternate frame (Athearn maybe) that can be modified to work, that is reasonably
easy to obtain? I have several GP-30 shells that I need to build up into runners..
Thanks

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/11/22 07:03 by TNO53.

Date: 01/11/22 07:42
Author: SPDRGWfan

Some use KATO GP35 chassis to upgrade their Proto 2000 GP30's.

Date: 01/11/22 20:28
Author: TNO53

Thank you for the reply.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0722 seconds