Home Open Account Help 315 users online

Model Railroading > Rapido SP B100 question on roof paint

Date: 01/08/22 22:54
Rapido SP B100 question on roof paint
Author: dmaffei

If you purchased one of these Jems in the as delivered as I did, look for the ACI labels folded within the car instructions. Also was wondering if anyone has a photo of the roof on the prototype to verify if the cars had brown overspray on the silver roof? Or not?
Great looking model. Thanks for any roof info in advance.

Date: 01/09/22 06:59
Re: Rapido SP B100 question on roof paint
Author: ghemr

I found a photo of a new B100-40 and I can't detect any roof overspray. Hope this helps..... 

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=5188296

Date: 01/09/22 07:54
Author: obsessedfoamer

Hey Dave, I'm just using decals on mine. But I prefer the Tangent ACI Brass plate compared to the Rapido one, atleast they tried! 

Phil

Date: 01/09/22 10:01

ghemr Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I found a photo of a new B100-40 

Thanks for the photo link. Great 1977 photo showing the top of the car.

Phil
Yeah, probably do the same with a decal. Thought I'd mention it as some may not find the part bag (shown in my photo) folded into the instructions.
As for instructions, Rapido needs to do better in that department with less humor and more guidance. Maybe a YouTube instructional video on how to disassemble some of there locomotives? They are doing some great stuff and as a modeler, I appreciate the effort getting the models right.

Date: 01/09/22 11:09
Author: sixaxlecentury

Those are some chunky ACI tags! The best ones I have seen are the ones from Smokebox Graphics.  

Date: 01/09/22 13:30
Author: TCnR

How are those couplers working out neighbor? My two cars are not on the Layout yet, great looking car.

The MFCL Group found some material in the coupler jaw, when they went to change to KD whiskers they found the coupler box a bit tight. The story goes that KD ran out of couplers during the fire in town so Rapido went to another approach to get the product to market. Extra points for good intentions, but any issues with the couplers?
Cheers...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 13:31 by TCnR.

Date: 01/09/22 19:57

TCnR Wrote:
> How are those couplers working out neighbor? 

Funney you should ask. My photos were of Mark's car on his bench. He wasted no time tearing into the car. 
First was to check truck wobble and bolster tightness. He found that Rapido put nubs or tabs on the frame on one side above one truck only to keep that truck from moving laterally. Many modelers believe in leaving one truck bolster screw tighter than the other to prevent car rocking or more stability if I understand it right. Mark is not in that crowd and removed those tabs. More movement is better for the car in rough trackage. 

The couplers are good Kadee copies but not exactly the same. I looked at them and the knuckle didn't seem to close completely, but didn't have my optivisor to look close. He replaced it with a whisker number 5, but needed to round some of the rear corners with a dermal to make it fit in the box and operate correctly. I give Rapido credit for trying as I have no idea why some manufacturers install junk plastic couplers in new models. What's up with that? Cost?
Think he added a bolster washer to get coupler height perfect, but wasn't off much.

Speaking of this kind of nonsense. Thinking Moloco is the first to get wheel sets right by painting the brown rust / steel color on side of the wheel sets they offer. Every wheel set needs that on every model in my book. 
Rapido did a good job on these cars.

Now if somebody would do a high end SP SD9e 😂

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 01/09/22 20:25 by dmaffei.

Date: 01/10/22 19:25
How’s your Waffles?

Apparently one of the model  boards is going nuts about oversized waffles on these cars in the lower right corner that are too thick. Folks are talking about sending their orders back. 
Really?

This falls into the category of you can't please everyone. 

Just needed to say it here. 

Date: 01/10/22 22:41
Re: How’s your Waffles?
Author: PHall

dmaffei Wrote:
> Apparently one of the model  boards is going nuts
> about oversized waffles on these cars in the lower
> right corner that are too thick. Folks are talking
> about sending their orders back. 
> Really?
>
> This falls into the category of you can't please
> everyone. 
>
> Just needed to say it here. 
>
>
>  

Let them send them back, I'll buy them.

Date: 01/11/22 04:51
Author: SPDRGWfan

dmaffei Wrote:
> Apparently one of the model  boards is going nuts
> about oversized waffles on these cars in the lower
> right corner that are too thick. Folks are talking
> about sending their orders back. 
> Really?
>
> This falls into the category of you can't please
> everyone. 
>
> Just needed to say it here. 

Well, to be fair, on the MFCL list, Liz commented: "I do wish Rapido would quit effing up."

I still plan on buying one of these interesting cars.

> Now if somebody would do a high end SP SD9e 😂

Apparently one is coming - someone apparently in-the-know suggested a high end SD9e would be coming this years sometime.  I picked up the SD9E put out by Walthers last year but Athearns will probably be even better.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 01/11/22 07:30
Author: WAF

If they can get them out of China to the US before the end of the decade

Date: 01/11/22 07:38

Since Athearn usually takes about 12 months from announcement to delivery (give or take), a Genesis SD9E would be in our hands until sometime in 2023.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 01/11/22 08:43
Author: TCnR

Have to give Rapido credit for pushing the limits on ideas like the EP-5, Candian Ore cars, Budd cars, small Alco's, lots of popular wish list models that take a lot of work and creativity.

But there's always something. The video hype and the gags just make it a bigger deal than it should be. What I have purchased from them are all keepers that I'm very happy to have.

Date: 01/11/22 14:31
Author: WAF

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
> Since Athearn usually takes about 12 months from
> announcement to delivery (give or take), a Genesis
> SD9E would be in our hands until sometime in
> 2023.
>
> Cheers,
> Jim
IF and this is a big "IF", the problems at the docks are solved, I would agree with you, BUT knowing how everything is so screwed now, the next reason nothing can ship is because all the empty containers for the Far East are stacked 10 high all over LA and the West Coast

Date: 01/11/22 14:48

WAF Wrote:
> IF and this is a big "IF", the problems at the
> docks are solved, I would agree with you, BUT
> knowing how everything is so screwed now, the next
> reason nothing can ship is because all the empty
> containers for the Far East are stacked 10 high
> all over LA and the West Coast.

Yep.  I'm not holding my breath.

Date: 01/11/22 15:56
Author: grahamline

Today, my dealer handed me an Atlas U30C that I ordered "only" two years ago.  Nice engine with potential and a fair amount of the busy work done.  When I pre-order, I bung the cost in an interest-bearing account and it's there when I need it.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.065 seconds