Home Open Account Help 287 users online

Model Railroading > Searching for Modular Construction Technique

Date: 01/10/22 14:31
Searching for Modular Construction Technique
Author: ironmtn

About 30-60 days ago in this forum, I came across a link to what seemed like a relatively new technique for construction of the baseboard for N-scale (may have been HO-scale) modules. It used what looked like inverted square bowls with rounded corners, with the bowl facing downward. Sort of a larger egg-crate pattern. If you were looking upwards from underneath, you would be looking up into the "bowls", rather than looking down into them.

I don't think it was the primary topic of the thread, nor did it appear in the title. But instead it was a link to another site that someone posted, best as I can recall.

I followed the link that day and thought I bookmarked it. But I either didn't do so, or the bookmark has otherwise disappeared.

If anyone can either direct me to the thread here on TO which had that link, or to a site that discusses that technique (or even name the technique so I can search for it), I'd be grateful. I have searched for it diligently, and just can't locate it again, either here on TO nor on the internet in general. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

MC

Date: 01/10/22 15:01
Re: Searching for Modular Construction Technique
Author: Lighter

North Carolina Sipping and Switching Society. HO scale. Stress-skin construction. I think you can figure it out from this URL.
https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/sipping-switching-module-construction-12191435

The ends are one by and the rest is 1/4" Luan ply. Assembled on a flat surface with carpenter's glue.

Date: 01/10/22 16:19
Author: MojaveBill

I've built several layouts over the decades much simpler and just as effective as that! 

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 01/10/22 16:32
Author: ironmtn

Lighter Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> North Carolina Sipping and Switching Society. HO
> scale. Stress-skin construction. I think you can
> figure it out from this URL.
> https://forum.mrhmag.com/post/sipping-switching-mo
> dule-construction-12191435
>
> The ends are one by and the rest is 1/4" Luan ply.
> Assembled on a flat surface with carpenter's glue.

That's it. Many thanks for your help. Now I can study it and give it some thought. A different approach. I'm not particularly attracted to it. But I do find it intriguing and want to give it some further review. I'm like that when I come across something that's really new and different (at least to me). Thanks again.

MC

Date: 01/11/22 01:33
Author: Lighter

> I've built several layouts over the decades much
> simpler and just as effective as that! 

What isn't apparent from photographs is that the modules weigh very little since they are almost all quarter-inch luan. Plus they are stiff and durable enough for the extensive travel and setups that the NCS&SS does. For home, I think they are over-engineered, perhaps. At least for me. Plus they really require a table saw for all the luan strips.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0434 seconds