Home Open Account Help 291 users online

Model Railroading > HO scale MILW Little Joe models

Date: 05/02/22 10:27
HO scale MILW Little Joe models
Author: BandOblades

Hi yall,

Had the opportunity to pick up a second HO scale NWSL brass unpainted Little Joe at a show this past weekend.  I now have 2 of these models, still in the box.  More than likely, neither have ever been run regularly just displayed.  I've heard that NWSL, especially from this era and up to present day, put out good quality product.  However is the age a potential problem now?
So a few questions if you don't mind:

1)  Is it worth it to hold onto the NWSL Little Joes and paint, detail, do motor maintenance and add a decoder (perhaps even sound?) or no?
  a)  Is the MTH model, fully loaded and better than this?

2) Should I dump these engines, or remotor and put some dough into them?

For now, these engines realize long time goals of mine to have at least one Little Joe.

What are some of your opinions on this?

Thanks,

Jason

P.S. If fireman424 can send me a PM or perhaps his real good friend M Kerner could, I would be very appreciative and want to touch base again with them from way back in the day.

Date: 05/02/22 10:48
Re: HO scale MILW Little Joe models
Author: mcdeo

Ran into a friend this past weekend that picks up older brass models for dirt cheap, puts lots of time and effort into fine tuning them, improving them, repainting them, turning them into model master pieces, including running near flawlessly. Can turn them and make a lot of money, or enjoy them running and pulling more cars than originally built. Always choices on what to work on. 

Mike ONeill
Parker, CO

Date: 05/02/22 12:17
Author: PasadenaSub

I recall reading some negatives about the MTH version here in the past.  However, I believe ScaleTrains has since purchased the MTH molds and will use them as a basis for a super-detailed Rivet Counter or Museum Quality Joe.

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/22 12:17 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 05/02/22 14:07
Author: WrongWayMurphy

Here is a Joe in 1.5",scale

Date: 05/02/22 20:06
Author: TAW

WrongWayMurphy Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Here is a Joe in 1.5",scale

Needs some Really Tall pantographs to be able to ride behind it.

TAW

Date: 05/03/22 11:06
Author: fbe

The two early brass Joes models were NWSL and Alco Models. I think the NWSL models had the best nose profiles and body with roof details.  Spoked drivers have been available but are extremely hard to find now.  Overland brass models are the best brass production now but have to be found on line now.

MTH models have short comings in the nose profiles and nose details.  I have not seen the MTH models hands on.

I have 4 NWSL Joes purchased for $125 undecorated and 4 Overland decorated Joes purchased in the $325 range so I am not in the market for any more 4-D+D-4 electric models.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/03/22 11:24 by fbe.

Date: 05/04/22 00:52
Author: steeplecab

Of the two early brass Joes, I found the Alco Models version to have the most accurate profile, which is why I bought one. However it also requires more prep work before painting than the NWSL. The rigid frame and drive has the same problems as the real thing with curves, and wanted at last 36" radius curves, but it prefers more than that. It would derail on a tight curve just like the real Joes, with the leading axle of the trailing frame climbing the outside rail.

The NWSL had better detailing on the roof and had the spoked drivers. But to me the NWSL nose looked more like the Joe that had the cab replaced after the wreck.

I have a couple of the MTH passenger Joes, and they look good, but they're cursed with the MTH electronics. They will run on DCC, but about the only thing that can be set on them is the long address. If you want to speed match them you have to match the other unit to the MTH. I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading one with a Tsunami2, but at this point I'm only in the research stage. I think it's doable, but it may get messy before it's done. And Soundtraxx is pretty vague about the sounds on it's electrics decoders and what they're from.

Dano
Montana

Date: 05/04/22 14:52
Author: GN_Fan

steeplecab Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm looking at the possibility of upgrading one with a Tsunami2,
> but at this point I'm only in the research stage.
> I think it's doable, but it may get messy before
> it's done. 
>
> Dano
> Montana

I have one of the MTH Little Joes as well as one of the MTH Bi-Polars. They may not be totally accurate but it is what I have.

I like them both would very much like to install Tsunami or ESU decoders in them.   What's hard is finding any exploded diagrams for them. The web site only says; "coming soon"  I woiuld like to know If any has done this and has some hints as take apart of them.

David B

Date: 05/05/22 14:34
Author: BAB

Wow WW that needs to come north to TM this year so it can visit the Box cab set of Karls and his matching caboose

Date: 05/08/22 02:57
Author: steeplecab

> I ... would very much like to install Tsunami or ESU decoders in them.
> What's hard is finding any exploded diagrams for them.

Now that MTH is no more you're not likely to find one. Here's a start - photos of the insides. A wiring diagram isn't liable to do much good. Since most of the features are lights it might be simplest to start with a decoder and connect the correct wires to it. Leave the wires on the motor, truck pickups and lights and just connect them to the decoder. The big question is how much the micromotors for the pans and the couplers draw. That might be the biggest challenge.

Or wait for Scale Trains to come out with them. That might be easiest.

Dano
Montana

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0556 seconds