Home Open Account Help 320 users online

Model Railroading > Fascia near finish, in part ...

Date: 05/05/22 21:00
Fascia near finish, in part ...
Author: Jeff_Johnston

It's amazing what a difference it makes when you get even the first coat of fascia color applied. It truly makes things look more finished and pleasing to the eye. I'm pretty excited about how this is going.

Jeff johnston

Date: 05/05/22 21:06
Re: Fascia near finish, in part ...
Author: wabash2800

Thanks for sharing. I personally prefer curved fascia like my backdrops. But it is interesting how you extended the layout into the aisle and provided the alcove.

Victor B.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/22 21:31 by wabash2800.

Date: 05/05/22 21:25

Curved or segmented fascia and curved or segmented backdrops are just two of the many compromises and choices a modeler makes when setting priorities. I feel that if the layout material is interesting enough people will scarcely be aware of the fascia and the backdrop is just an adjunct to the layout proper. It's all in how we choose to spend our modeling time and efforts and if the result pleases the builder, that's all that really matters.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 05/05/22 21:52
Author: tracktime

Transformative!  Looking good! Congrats, Jeff!

Date: 05/05/22 22:19
Author: MrMRL

Weather it's pineboard, plywood, masonite, or MDF... Any facia for the edge of a model railroad is a welcome (big step) towards the completed look we're all striving for. Nice job.

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 05/06/22 05:14
Author: SeaboardMan

I also notice you must have spent at least half a day doing that helix, lol, been there done that.
john

Date: 05/06/22 05:30
Author: SPDRGWfan

SeaboardMan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I also notice you must have spent at least half a
> day doing that helix, lol, been there done that.
> john
>  

Yes, that's one monster helix!

Date: 05/06/22 07:54

The helix was, indeed, "a project." As much as I enjoy carpentry and most model railroad related construction subjects, I admit I was pleased when the helix was finally finished.

You can see how it went by searching Youtube for my "Helix construction, part 1: roadbed" and "helix construction, part 2: trackwork" videos.

Jeff Johnston

Date: 05/06/22 10:46
Author: Westbound

The paint manufacturer names the color shown “Campground” for the brand I used (same color) to paint my under-layout cabinetry. My fascia is mostly black since it doubles as a control panel for much of the layout. Anything but bare wood!

Date: 05/06/22 12:25
Author: SPDRGWfan

Or bare masonite!  There is a guy on the Model Railroader magazine forums who had a good sized steam era layout, and the fascia is massive sheets of bare masonite.  I guess he likes it but it might as well be covered with brown grocery paper bags.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/07/22 19:44 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 05/07/22 18:56
Author: ChrisCampi

I love that color for the fascia. That's what I started with before I went radical. :-)

Date: 05/08/22 09:38
Author: dmaffei

Great looking layout . Love to see more. Thanks 

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0452 seconds