Home Open Account Help 317 users online

Model Railroading > Take a Beet break

Date: 05/17/22 16:56
Take a Beet break
Author: dmaffei

This past Sunday I was invited to run at the Crockett club. Mark McLeod and Harry "Tracktime" Wong were in attendance. You can hear them in my video talking about, well, model railroading! This was the first time I had enough competed, weathered and speed matched locomotives to pull the train from my personal roster. Some have been posted here on TO. The latest to roll off the bench is SD40 8448. This SD40 kept the number on the nose until rebuilding I believe. It's a Athearn RTR shell with Kato chassis and Loksound board. The locomotives were 8448, 8800. 8430, 8410, 9290. 
keep modeling!

You must be a registered subscriber to watch videos. Join Today!

Date: 05/17/22 17:17
Re: Take a Beet break
Author: BOBDRGW

I miss the Beet Trains. Thanks for bringing them back. Nice job! 

Date: 05/17/22 17:20
Author: SPDRGWfan

Most excellent. And a shout out Harry!

Posted from Android

Date: 05/17/22 18:39
Author: photobob

One of the finest model railroad videos I've seen. Wait till he retires and doesn't waste his time at work.

Robert Morris
Dunsmuir, CA
Robert Morris Photography

Date: 05/17/22 18:53
Author: TomG

That's a mighty fine looking train Dave. Amazing work. 

Date: 05/17/22 20:46
Author: FiveChime

I know this presents hours of your effort in that every beet car is a unique weathered model.
Regards, Jim Evans 

Date: 05/17/22 20:56
Author: MojaveBill

Brings back memories ofrf the real trains...

Bill Deaver
Tehachapi, CA

Date: 05/17/22 21:05

I had to go back and count, 64 beet cons! That just doesn't happen over night. On top of that, no two are a like. The time commitment to do all those is nothing short of amazing.

Date: 05/17/22 21:42
Author: TCnR

Nice work Dave. Video looks great.
t4p,

Date: 05/17/22 21:51
Author: railstiesballast

Fabulous.
I remember during the late 1950s when I saw long strings of beet gons all in shiny new paint with the big, bold Southern Pacific name on them, some pulled by scarlet & gray F units.
Over the years I watched the paint fade, then flake off as the beets were hauled around California during the "campaigns".  

Date: 05/18/22 05:38
Author: 3rdswitch

Really nice.
JB

Date: 05/18/22 05:40
Author: dmaffei

Photobob, it's my new1/87 scale iPhone drone ! 
Took over 3 years for da beet car builds three at a time assembly line style. The project help me build a weathering technique. Glad you see them in different amounts of wood decay as that was my goal. The beets were a cool SP signature train that produced lots of stories from railroaders. Drop by and visit at BAPM for some Beet discussion. 

Date: 05/18/22 06:41
Author: SPDRGWfan

Awesome weathering on the beet gons.  I wish I could practice and learn to mimick it on the beet gons I'm collecting but sadly I just have no hobby time to speak of, especially now that my wife and I have suddently taken on taking care of my 90 year old mother.

Keep up the great work!

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 05/18/22 13:29

Dave, let me know when you put on a weathering class. You are a master.

Date: 05/18/22 14:59
Author: PHall

Ah yes the Beet Gons, the Carman's nightmare! Trying to keep them running using the least money possible.

Date: 05/19/22 00:20
Author: E25

Very impressive workmanship, Dave.  'Love the video!

Greg Stadter
Phoenix, AZ

Date: 05/19/22 14:13
Author: Red_over_Yellow

Looks great Dave. Nice work. 

Date: 05/21/22 20:28
Author: SPB

The dynamic brakes sound starts off a wonderful video.  What an imressive train on a fine layout.

Gerry

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0436 seconds