Home Open Account Help 324 users online

Model Railroading > Decal Rivets--a better photo

Date: 07/27/22 15:35
Decal Rivets--a better photo
Author: wabash2800

I deleted the previous rivet thread as this provides a better photo of the final product with the rivets. This is one of three deck-beam girder spans in my scratch-built, Wabash Railroad, Lagro, Indiana bridge, almost complete.

This is a beam span, in that large "I" beams are used rather than plates of steel riveted together for a deck-plate girder. Because the girders are solid steel, the profile is not as high as a deck plate girder and has much fewer angle irons. The deck height is not much over 3 ft. I used Plastruct 7/16 in. "I" beams.  (The underside of the bridge does not follow prototype practice as it can not be seen on my layout.)

I have all the masonry complete for the the pre-stressed concrete portion of the bridge plus the unique piers and abutments and hope to get photos of the entire bridge posted here soon. Norfolk Southern rebuilt the bridge several years ago. This span of the bridge had a builders date of 1930. 

The entire HO-Scale bridge is scratch-built.  The smaller spaced rivets are from Archer and the wider spaced ones on the ends made by Micro-Mark.

OK, would you like to know that I used a couple of coats of Tamiya gloss aluminum in a spray can and the decal rivets look fine? Also, though I haven't hit it with a flat clear yet, the Microscale decals are so good that I have to look real close to see the sheen!

Victor B.

Edited 9 time(s). Last edit at 07/27/22 17:34 by wabash2800.

Date: 07/27/22 18:18
Re: Decal Rivets--a better photo
Author: AVR3001

Nice one, Victor!

Date: 07/28/22 09:27

Here is a screeshot of one of the spans I modeled. This is an old photo from googlemaps that is still up. The bridge has since been rebuillt.

Victor B.

Date: 07/28/22 13:15
Author: ChrisCampi

Looks good Victor. Also looks like your going to have to rust the bottom of those I beams and rivot lines pretty generously. 

Date: 07/28/22 16:05

Actually, not really Chris, I model the 1950s, so would hope the bridge would be in better shape.

Victor B

ChrisCampi Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Looks good Victor. Also looks like your going to
> have to rust the bottom of those I beams and rivot
> lines pretty generously. 

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 07/28/22 18:55 by wabash2800.

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0358 seconds