Home Open Account Help 377 users online

Model Railroading > Athearn July Announcements

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

Date: 07/29/22 17:34
Athearn July Announcements
Author: JDLX

Last Friday of the month, must mean it's New Product Announcement day at Athearn.

In order....

HO Scale
Genesis SDP40Fs in Amtrak; EMD Testbed; Santa Fe; BNSF Business Train (Fantasy Scheme); Southern (green fantasy scheme)
Genesis SD70ACe in UP; UP Heirtage units SP-DRGW-CNW; Norfolk Southern; Kansas City Southern; Montana Rail Link; Ferromex
Athearn C44-9W in UP; SP; CN; BNSF; BNSF Warbonnet; Hamersly Iron
Athearn 50-foot NACC boxcar in Delaware & Hudson; Hamm's Beer; Dresser Magcobar; Alumax; Central Railroad of New Jersey; Penguin Ginger Ale
Athearn 2-8-0 Steam Locomotive in Union Pacific; Great Northern; D&RGW; Southern; and Virginia & Truckee
Athearn 40' Stock Cars in Santa Fe; Chicago & Northwestern; Denver & Rio Grande Western; Great Northern; Missouri Pacific; Texas & Pacific
Athearn 50' 5077 Center Door Boxcars in Southern Pacific; Chessie; Western Pacific; Longview, Portland & Northern; White City Terminal; Amador Central
Athearn 50' Overland Passenger Cars in same five matching paint schemes as the 2-8-0 referenced above
Athearn 40' Smooth side containers in American President Lines; American Mail Line; United State Line; SeaLand; K Line; Mitsui OSK Line
Athearn Intercity Bus in Teal and Cream, Pacific Electric, Utah Parks; Band on Tour *2 versions); For Sale; Fred Harvey Bus Line
Athearn 40 Chassis in American President Lines; Flexi-Van; TRAC Intermodal; Genstar; K Line; Mitsui OSK Line

N Scale
Athearn Intercity Buses and 50' NACC Boxcars in the same schemes as the HO Announcements. 

All items expected around September 2023.  While not especially accurate, I'm tempted by that V&T 2-8-0...

Jeff Moore
Elko, NV

Date: 07/29/22 17:52
Re: Athearn July Announcements
Author: MC6853

I've been looking for Sea-Land containers to add to my NYSW stack trains, so that's good news...

Date: 07/29/22 23:17
Author: Fizzboy7

Eclectic round of offerings.
Question:    Is the black WCTR boxcar accurate?   I know most were ex-SP, so is this an ex-something else?

Date: 07/29/22 23:46
Author: RRBMail

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, thankfully. 

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/29/22 23:46 by RRBMail.

Date: 07/30/22 07:00
Author: Txtrainman60

Looks like the same old items re-hashed for the 3rd or 4th time!

Date: 07/30/22 07:08
Author: CITCO

I stopped by the Athearn booth at the St. Louis RPM yesterday, to say I am dissapointed in their direction is an understatement.  Things aren't the same since Chris Palomez left.  This new guy Jim and whatever decisions made at his level and above are a disaster.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/22 07:09 by CITCO.

Date: 07/30/22 07:33
Author: MrMRL

Looks like the same old armchair critics re-hashing their personal frustrations for the 3rd or 4th times...

~ Mr. MRL

Date: 07/30/22 07:51
Author: SPDRGWfan

Elsewhere an Athearn rep has reported regarding the Athearn RTR FMC 5077 Double Door boxcar: "we've recently retooled some of the cars to be the correct width, and this release is one of them. I hope the new tooling samples can be shown soon."

Search Results: 50' FMC 5077 Double Door Box: Athearn Trains

Cheers,
Jim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/22 11:32 by SPDRGWfan.

Date: 07/30/22 09:31
Author: TCnR

That would be good info. It's one of those things that you can't unsee and always shows up in a mix of boxcars.
Somewhat skeptical of rumored good info these days though.

SPDRGWfan Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Elsewhere an Athearn rep has reported regarding
> the Athearn RTR  5077 Double Door boxcar: "we've
> recently retooled some of the cars to be the
> correct width, and this release is one of them. I
> hope the new tooling samples can be shown soon."
>
> Search Results: 50' FMC 5077 Double Door Box:
> Athearn Trains
>
> Cheers,
> Jim

Date: 07/30/22 11:48
Author: TomG

Txtrainman60 Wrote:
> Looks like the same old items re-hashed for the
> 3rd or 4th time!
You cant get to upset by them doing the same thing. Usually they provide a different number which helps those building a fleet. Also remember, with what little is released these days, this is the only way to get something since you just cant go to your local hobby shop like the days of old if you missed the previous run. What bugs me more is the time and energy wasted on fake what ifs when those effort could benefit a host of accurate models. I could use a bunch of these 40 foot sealand containers.

Date: 07/30/22 12:14
Author: PHall

Txtrainman60 Wrote:
> Looks like the same old items re-hashed for the
> 3rd or 4th time!

And yet they keep selling...

Date: 07/30/22 12:46
Author: Lark

What We do is a fantasy -- Sign Me up for the Fantasy...

Date: 07/30/22 12:46
Author: inyosub

I was hoping for something genuinely new, since it's the summer show season and there are a couple of good
venues. NMRA w/National Train show is up in August.That said, they may hold their fire for that big show. 

I did make the suggestion they offer the bus in a "Primed for Grime"version..... Up on Blocks.   lol 

Date: 07/30/22 13:33
Author: funnelfan

Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> Eclectic round of offerings.
> Question:    Is the black WCTR boxcar
> accurate?   I know most were ex-SP, so is this
> an ex-something else?

Actually they are, mostly. The roofs of the plate B cars were cut off and raised a few inches to make them Plate C cars. But they started showing up on the SP in 1993. The number series seems to fall in the 101900-102199 range

Ted Curphey
Ontario, OR

Date: 07/30/22 17:34
Author: PasadenaSub

Glad to see they're doing another run of the Flxible Intercity buses in HO.  It's been a few years and buses from Iconic Replicas and Rapido are becoming priced out of reach.

Rich

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/22 17:35 by PasadenaSub.

Date: 07/30/22 23:36
Author: Fizzboy7

funnelfan Wrote:
> Fizzboy7 Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Eclectic round of offerings.
> > Question:    Is the black WCTR boxcar
> > accurate?   I know most were ex-SP, so is
> this
> > an ex-something else?
>
>
> Actually they are, mostly. The roofs of the plate
> B cars were cut off and raised a few inches to
> make them Plate C cars. But they started showing
> up on the SP in 1993. The number series seems to
> fall in the 101900-102199 range

Most interesting.   I don't know how I've never manage to capture one of those over the past thirty decades, but I haven't.    Any prototype pics of one in an SP train?    And the color is indeed black, correct?

Date: 07/31/22 07:15

MC6853 Wrote:
> I've been looking for Sea-Land containers to add
> to my NYSW stack trains, so that's good news.

I have a couple sets of Sealand containers made years ago Concor - smooth side and 40'.  I plan to used them on the two sets of NYSW Twin Stack 5 car sets I have.  They ran across the D&RGW after the test train ran across the Tennessee Pass route Oct 1988.

Cheers,
Jim

Date: 07/31/22 11:56
Author: TomG

Jim, was the WP Sealand passed off ftom the D&RGW or the UP?

Date: 07/31/22 13:49

I am not sure Tom.  If I had to guess, once the UP took over the combined D&RGW/SP/SSW in 1996, they surely would have rerouted intermodal traffic across the UP mainlines, probably over scenic wonders of Sherman Hill!

Date: 07/31/22 14:42
Author: randyr

I give them credit, they are bringing out a decent amount of items each month. I really like their legendary liveries. The recent WP, BNSF and SPSF FP45s were pretty cool. And the Southern SDP40F looks interesting. I wish they would do something similar for the D&RGW and their Rio Grande Zephyr, And as another Poster mentioned the V&T Steamers are appealing. Mr. MRL's comment above was spot on.

Randy in PHX

Pages:  [ 1 ][ 2 ] [ Next ]
Current Page:1 of 2

[ Share Thread on Facebook ] [ Search ] [ Start a New Thread ] [ Back to Thread List ] [ <Newer ] [ Older> ] 
Page created in 0.0894 seconds